Discuss IR testing on CU upgrade in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

n180

-
Reaction score
On an eicr we can write LIM for L-N testing and do a test with L-N connected to earth if there's too many electronics to unplug.

What about on an EIC when only doing something like a CU upgrade? Can't do the IR test between L-N with too many things to unplug and we can't write LIM on EIC in the live-live column?

So what to write in the L-L test columns on an EIC?

I know its always good to do the EICR before upgrade, but still got to do the EIC afterwards.

Thanks in advance.

When testing on a cu you can do a globe on L to L and earth.
But must show test results .by saying that if you do not take out the items that are in it will give false reading.

According to BS7671 an EIC should detail the extent of the work it covers and should include schedules of inspections and test results detailing appropriate inspections and tests which relate to the work covered by the certificate.
Further an EIC should not be used to report on the condition of an existing installation.
As such you are not required to include the results of inspecting and testing existing circuits in the schedules.
Some may argue that you are in fact prohibited from doing so.

If you are unable to conduct an unneccessary test, then it is not a limitation, so does not need to be recorded as such.

L&N to earth is not a problem, but i've always been taught that goes only in the L-E column.

Is that reading also accepted in the L-L column?

According to BS7671 an EIC should detail the extent of the work it covers and should include schedules of inspections and test results detailing appropriate inspections and tests which relate to the work covered by the certificate.
Further an EIC should not be used to report on the condition of an existing installation.
As such you are not required to include the results of inspecting and testing existing circuits in the schedules.
Some may argue that you are in fact prohibited from doing so.

If you are unable to conduct an unneccessary test, then it is not a limitation, so does not need to be recorded as such.

So we leave the columns blank then? Surely we can't just leave them blank or write NA?

I'm just trying to know what's the best way to fill the form, I know what tests to do and how to do them.

So we leave the columns blank then? Surely we can't just leave them blank or write NA?

I'm just trying to know what's the best way to fill the form, I know what tests to do and how to do them.
You haven't conducted the test, so "N/A" would be fair enough in my opinion. And in the section of the certificate asking about limitations on the inspection and testing obviously I would note that insulation testing has not been carried out between live conductors due to the presence of connected lamps and loads.

Live conductors to Earth is the most important one for insulation testing anyway - in fact in many countries the requirement is simply for insulation testing to Earth.

As far as I’m aware, there’s no British Standard for filling out a Schedule of Test Results.
I would not record calculated results, because the schedule is for recording the results of tests.
I would not use X, as it might be taken as meaning fail.
I would not use / as it may be taken as a tick.
I could use \ though I prefer to use -.
N/A is pretty universal as being taken for Not Applicable.
N/V might need some explanation, but then you might have to explain why the measured value for Zs is below the Maximum allowed, yet it still fails.

Both the OSG and GN3 have examples of filled out Certificates and Reports.
Not sure whether they are examples of how to, or how not to fill them out.

Given that the Schedule of Test Results derives from BS 7671 then the stipulations therein should be adhered to. For an Electrical Installation Certificate this means that everything is either compliant or inapplicable.

Reply to IR testing on CU upgrade in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock