Discuss IR testing - results creep up! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pencilpusher

Hi all

Why is it that on some circuit IR testing, the results shoot up to say 250 M ohms but then creep up towards a much higher value? I know that the results are OK, I just thought it may be some damp somewhere causing the problem possibly. Do you wait for them to stop creeping up or take a result after say 5-10 seconds.

Any views would be welcome.

PP

Yeah sure, I was just curious why sometimes this happend and other times you get >999 M ohms very quickly.

PP

Do you wait for them to stop creeping up or take a result after say 5-10 seconds.

Not that many electricians do, but the correct way to record a IR value is after 1 minute, (in most cases). Which allows the test voltage to charge the complete circuit and find any weak spots in the insulation. A quick 3 to 5 second push of the test button, is not and never has been the correct procedure...

With otherwise good high readings I agree dampness can cause fluctuating readings, but a slow creep up I always thought this was due to capacitance effects, and thought this was the circuit just charging up.

Last edited:
With otherwise good high readings I agree dampness can cause flucuating readings, but a slow creep up I always thought this was due to capacitance effects, and thought this was the circuit just charging up.

Absolutely, a bit of capacitive coupling on long runs!

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Not that many electricians do, but the correct way to record a IR value is after 1 minute, (in most cases). Which allows the test voltage to charge the complete circuit and find any weak spots in the insulation. A quick 3 to 5 second push of the test button, is not and never has been the correct procedure...

So one minute it is then, unless I get >999 M ohms immediately of course!

If I notice this, which I have in the past, I continue to keep the test button pressed in on my Fluke tester until it bleeps and enter the final figure displayed:thumbsup

If I notice this, which I have in the past, I continue to keep the test button pressed in on my Fluke tester until it bleeps and enter the final figure displayed:thumbsup

Be thankful your not Hi Pot testing MV/HV cables (basically the same thing but at much higher voltages), that can be anything from 15 to 30 minutes, depending on if it's initial verification or for subsequent verification after an incident for arguments sake. As Hi-Pot tests are classified as a destructive test, often both test KV and times are reduced....

lol

I imagine holding the test button for that length of time would be similar to holding the lever on a hand-grenade with the pin removed lol

No push test button, just an on/off switch a KV increment dial, and a timer. Bit more complicated than that, but that's the basics... lol!!!

My experiences of pressure testing are a bit simpler lol,

IR test @ 1000V ,Hold trigger on the flash testing gun for 30 seconds, push 2.5kV AC through the switch gear for 30s, then IR test it all again @1000V. This was for simple type testing.

Edit: should have said for LV switchgear

Last edited:

Reply to IR testing - results creep up! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock