Discuss IR testing with a full load? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm sure this question has been asked before but just can't find it.
When doing the IR test on a 3phase commercial board, how do you go about testing the circuit if there are items that just can't be disconnected, ie Bank of lights or immovable equipment, is there a trick to doing this?
Have the same issue with domestic single phase boards and high ceiling downlights!

Any advice would be much appreciated, TIA

Whether single or three phase you follow the same principle connect line and neutral together then test to earth.
That's what I've been doing by way of a "piggy back lead" on my megger mft 1721, but get unsatisfactory results. I have also confirmed this by testing with a load on the circuit (oven circuit)...unsatisfactory, then taken the load off and voila satisfactory.

The problem is I'm getting handed more & .more EICR'S where I can't remove the loads, especially in commercial settings!

What are the unsatisfactory results, don't forget on a periodic you aren't looking for perfection.

Most commercial loads should have a local isolator. Turn it off and test to there.

domestic eicr forms have a box to list equipment likely to be damaged due to IR testing…. LED lights, smoke detectors etc. Just have to note as a limitation.

0.09M.ohm very much unsatisfactory
In this instance it is what it is. I tend to have a quick look but all you can do is Code it in the Report. There is little which should affect an IR test unless you have a genuine fault whether this be the cabling or a light fitting but rcd sockets and spurs can, filtered equipment will normally test clear at 250v.

As above.
This is most probably a fault. You're not doing anything wrong, it gets coded and then it's up to the client to get it fixed.
You just cant feasibly disconnect everything, therefore L/N - E IR test, as you are doing.

Reply to IR testing with a full load? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock