Discuss IR testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

boycie

When IR testing on lighting circuits i keep coming across dead shorts between L+E and N+E on the same circuit. I then proceed to investigate and the faults clear (maybe a screwed neutral or something ). however im scratching my head as to why im getting dead shorts between L+E when the mcb holds in fine Electrical Trainee syndrome). any advice on this would be fantastic !

When you say 'dead shorts' can you give further info? Are you seeing a dead short with the megger at 250/500/1000v or are you seeing a dead short with a normal tester on ohms scale? Once the fault has cleared what reading are you getting on the circuit with the megger and at what test voltage?

Last edited:
Yea, dead short.
I always got a slap for saying that.
Had to say zero zero zero, representing 0.00.
Or as the 2391 lecturer used to say, a fault of negligible resistance exists.

Boydy

the readings i am getting on my completely disconnected from the board cable is 0.00Mohms (dead short). I am expecting to get >299Mohms when clear at 500v as its a new install. My tester was calibrated 2 weeks ago. any reasons im picking up dead shorts between L+E ? TA

Umm, as already mentioned, 0.00 MOhms is not necessarily a dead short, have you tried measuring on the MFT's continuity setting?

Reply to IR testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

In my line of work it's very rare that I ever have to change a DB. I'm largely in maintenance; occasionally have to add new circuits etc. so in...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, When checking my consumer unit voltages with the full board off, I stumbled across something head scratching. Measuring the feed...
Replies
Views
So I’m an apprentice and I’m just trying to get a better understanding of the science behind this because the electricians who have said it have...
Replies
Views
Hi, I would love some help understanding an issue I’m having on a 16mm SWA cable running from the CU in my house to the CU in the shed. I believe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, After some options/opinions on fault finding N/E fault on ring final as fairly newish to being out alone. Customer wants to upgrade from...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock