Discuss Irish job query for testing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
I have a testing job to do in ireland.The test sheets i've to use ask for the R2 reading only..not R1+R2.....It is impractical to use the long wander lead method so I was thinking to work it out from R1+R2-(R1+Rn)/2=R2.........I was thinking to use this as opposed to R1+R2/2 to take account of parrallel earth paths which cant be disconnected...
Have any of the honorable members got any views on this

The test sheets you have been provided with are not the same as the ones in bs7671 and the coloumb you need should be added in, just my opinion.

Is this a new install or a report on an existing? I also take it that it is in the Republic of Ireland. Have you got a copy of the National Rules for Electrical Installations to reference as you will find that it differs from BS7671. One that stands out the most is that T&E with a reduced sized bare cpc is prohibited. Their T&E comes with the CPC the same csa as the live conductors and fully insulated. Are you registered as a qualified certifier in the ROI?

In the south of Ireland there is no such thing as R1 or R2 - these are instead defined as Rp and Re (resistance of phase conductor and resistance of earth) as defined within ETCI National Rules for Electrical Installations. Work should comply with ET101:2008 (as amended) - BS7671 is not a valid standard. Furthermore I would suggest you read up on Restricted Electrical Works and Controlled Electrical Works. (These definitions can be found on my website www.walshelectrical.ie)

In the south of Ireland there is no such thing as R1 or R2 - these are instead defined as Rp and Re (resistance of phase conductor and resistance of earth) as defined within ETCI National Rules for Electrical Installations. Work should comply with ET101:2008 (as amended) - BS7671 is not a valid standard. Furthermore I would suggest you read up on Restricted Electrical Works and Controlled Electrical Works. (These definitions can be found on my website www.walshelectrical.ie)
Oh dear...Thanks...looks like we will need to get an inspector to inspect the inspector

Oh dear...Thanks...looks like we will need to get an inspector to inspect the inspector
If you don't mind me asking (in order to give you more accurate advice):

Whereabouts in Ireland is the job? (Really just which jurisdiction is it in, or if you are unsure which county.)

Is it a domestic or non-domestic job?

Is this an initial verification or a periodic inspection? Or is the testing additional to installation works?

Reply to Irish job query for testing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net