Discuss is £180 a week enough and is it worth paying £1500 for nvq and am2 via JTL in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Trainee_Ryan

Hi guys, basically i had an apprenticeship when i was younger did around 3 years gained 2330 levels 2 and 3 then left to join army. Since then i decided to leave the army as they couldnt offer me my job choice and ended up joining on false hope of transfering once in there, anyway i have worked as a mate for like 8 months and for last 6 for an employer as apprentice 3rd year, i can be left to 1st and 2nd fix standard circuits, and install containment and also have own tools i feel i am being under paid on £180 a week. i now face a decision as my employer has since arranged with jtl to start me again on the scheme at a cost of £1500 to ME, now the plan is £20 a week from my wage goes to jtl therefore i have £160 pw, i dont really now if to invest in becoming qualified as the way things are going it seems pointless plus since leaving the army the raf have called me and said that they will be recruiting this year unsure when for genral tech electrical i am also interested in joining the raf as gen tech so dont want to pump money into jtl only to quit half way through, but on the other hand could be waiting for ages for raf so im like confused as **** what to do. any advice??

sorry about all the bad grammer..:bucktooth:

Do it

£160 is better than nothing and a lot better than sitting at home, it will all become worth it in the end

I certainly wouldnt be grafting for that sort of money though, purely do what your meant to be doing "LEARNING", and ask as many questions as possible

As an ex-forces bod and other government bodies bod, I would advise go back in the military..
Grab their hand off and stick with it regardless. Opportunities come your way, but not overnight !!!
Spend 5 yrs in the military and see where you are then.
No one, but no one, will look after the way they do.
Soon enough you will be too old for the military. So grab it while you can.
It will earn you loads of respect with future employers. (those that are worth working for)

20 pound a week isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things and by the end of it, it will be worth 10 times as much each week at least from your investment and keep your options open :)

Do the RAF, by the time you get out of the RAF hopefully the elec game would have picked up, certain peoples would have gone back home abroad, the Electrical Trainee would have gone back to IT or whatever and you could walk into a decent job or go it alone.
Many ifs, but worth the gamble in my opinion.

Put it this way, if I had the opportunity you have, there would be flames left behind as I run to the RAF so fast!!

Personally If I were you,
I'd go into the RAF.
You are already familiar with military life, and it will be a regular income for the next 5 years.
With the state of the economy it could take 5 years or more for the cycle to go around again.
but next time you'll know to get the RAF to pay for your civilian qualifications so that you'll be in a better position

There are alot of qualified and experience electricians (including me) who are struggling at the moment

good luck with your decision

how many hours do you do?

because the national minimum wage for 1st year apprentices (or apprentices under 19) is £2.60

otherwise its £6.08 an hour.

hi guys thanks for views, abit mixed lol which makes it all more confusing for me haha. And billybob i work varied hours, for example today i got pick up at 06.50 and got home around 16.30.

Sounds like you're getting shafted to me mate. If you have that much experience you're surely worth more than that.

My point was more to clarify how many hours a week youre actually doing

Getting "£180 per week" is meaningless without the amount of hours youre actually working.

If youre only working 10 hours a week and getting paid £180 (therefore getting paid £18 an hour) then i would say thats fantastic

if however youre working 37 hours a week and getting paid £180 then your hourly rate is just £4.86 which is illegal on your employers part.

you need to make sure youre getting at least £6.08 an hour.

OK...GRAB EVERYTHING.1) Say to your exploiter .."Yeah Ill do it " That gets you started with JTL, on the radar.2) If you can drive consider agency work, after getting on board with JTL, you will earn a better wage and still be getting qualified.3) Keep in contact with RAF, you said it might take a while to enlist so you could keep training for civvy street right up till you enlist. May they even let you finish it with them. Would you need these quals when you retire from RAF...?In a nutshell, grap each one that comes in case one fails..

Sorry about layout it auto justified badly.

My point was more to clarify how many hours a week youre actually doing

Getting "£180 per week" is meaningless without the amount of hours youre actually working.

If youre only working 10 hours a week and getting paid £180 (therefore getting paid £18 an hour) then i would say thats fantastic

if however youre working 37 hours a week and getting paid £180 then your hourly rate is just £4.86 which is illegal on your employers part.

you need to make sure youre getting at least £6.08 an hour.

Not illegal for someone training/apprentice

my average week is around 37.5 - 40+ hrs. Also i have heard that yes if a trainee/apprentice they can pay u like £2.5ph silly like that but also heard that if your over 19 (which i am) and not in 1st year of training it has to be min wage which for me would be £6.08.. which is correct?? Also to andy i dont think jtl accept people on agencies must be full time employer etc. As for JTL being in financial difficulty i wondered why they are letting me pay for training haha as it is meant to be a only the employer that pays apprently. Another thing as for 'would i need the nvq3 etc. when i leave the raf' NO i would have gained more quals in there anyway, but again its a case of can never have enough certs nowadays!!

it is illegal even for someone who is training or someone whos an apprentice

the apprenticeship website at

http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/Employers/The-Basics.aspx

clearly states that:

"A National Minimum Wage for apprentices was introduced on 1 October 2010. The wage applies to all apprentices aged under 19; and apprentices aged 19 or over in the first year of their Apprenticeship."

As the Op is over 19 and not in the first year of their apprenticeship they must be paid the national minimum wage of £6.08 an hour.

The days where you could pay someone peanuts while dangling an Apprenticeship carrot are over. The guidelines are pretty black and white with no ambiguity.

Also if the employer is breaking the law regarding pay then are you even on their books? Are you insured when you work there?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to is £180 a week enough and is it worth paying £1500 for nvq and am2 via JTL in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock