Discuss Is 2330 for me!? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Neds

Hi there,

First post so be gentle lol

Well I am looking into getting into electrical work however this is only for personal benefit so i get a better understanding of electrics and installation. I may plan to take it up as a trade if I am getting enough work from it. My question is, would the 2330 be a good start to get into it? Basically the college I can do it at has a 50/50 for theory and practical. I'm more interested in the practical side of things but obviously will need to learn the theory too. So for someone in my position would this be a good choice? I will also be doing this Part time evening as i am in full time employment already.

Cheers!

2330 is good for a general understanding of domestic, commercial and industrial. It is a slog at 3 years but in my opinion worth it if backed up with on-site learning. If just looking to do domestic work then perhaps look at a more 'intensive' course aimed at the domestic electrician. Can be done over a few weeks as opposed to a few years.

Cheers. I'm not too keen on these intensive courses really, I dont mind slogging it out as its not something i want to do in a hurry, not in it for a quick buck so to speak. I want to know in detail and so work things out myself and not just do things because thats how its done. I hear the 2330 is really theory focussed and this is really putting me off, I'm OK with maths and did Physics A Levels so should be OK with that, I just like getting down and dirty rather than read books.

The problem I have is I will have very little experience in the on-site learning side of things as I am in full-time employment already. The only thing I could do if I felt competent enough is some work on the side for free maybe.

2330 is split 50/50. If doing eves then 1 eve will be theory and the other practical. The theory isn't too bad as long as you have an understanding of maths and physics. There are lots of formulae to master too. Generally, it's not too bad but can be a bit mind blowing at times but a good lecturer will explain it well.

OK realistically speaking say I complete Level 2 Would I be able to say wire up a CU? or completely rewire a house? I've added the odd socket spur here and there and fitted a new light but thats as much as I have done.

The practical for my collages 2330 Level 2 was a small domestic installation. CU, 2 way lighting, ring mains with spur and some bonding of water and gas pipe.
Plus some pyro to a 20A socketa nd SWA (steel wire armoured) to the main switch.

I got a distinction for my paperwork (plant lits, risk assesment, technical drawings etc etc) and a credit on the actual practical. So im either going to have a credit or distintion overall.

Needless to say my maths is crap so you should be fine!

Reply to Is 2330 for me!? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock