Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Is 2way switching for a fan the same wiring as 2 way lighting?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

J_c9sh

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

hi, doing some work for client and they have asked for a fan to be 2 way switched, 1 switch in utility room and the other in the bathroom next door

my query - is 2 way switching for a fan the same wiring as 2 way lighting with a permanent feed going to the fan for a run on timer??

thanks

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
D

Dave 85

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you dont understand basic circuitry you are in the wrong line of work. Draw a wiring diagram.

S

Silly Sausage

Think about it, it's easy! :)
Where would you position your 3P isolator within the cct?

G

Guest123

So, is the fan in the utility room or the bathroom??

Is it the same room?? A fan in each (if seperate) would be the correct method IMO.

J

J_c9sh

my client is using ducts to link up both rooms with the fan extract

A

Adam W

I'd go for 2 separate fans as well - one in the bathroom, one in the utility room. Then you could have the fans coming on with the lights, like 'normal'.
Otherwise the lights would all come on together unless you start messing about with diodes and relays and that, by which time you might as well have installed 2 fans anyway.

J

J_c9sh

i would put the 3p isolator before the fan of course lol but would you use strappers , s/w, pernament feed etc like 2 way lighting

just need to know correct wiring

thanks

J

J_c9sh

this is what they want

utility room - 1 2g switch, one for light and one for fan
bathroom - 1 2g switch, one for light and one for fan but 2 wayed with utility room switch

lights on seperate switch

just need to know correct wiring

I honestly think it'll be cheaper, quicker and a lot less hassle with two extract fans. In the long term I'd say the customer will thank you for it

D

DurhamSparky

another customer who knows jack.... or a spark who cant be bothered to get the core drill out....!

J

J_c9sh

i never installed 2 way fan control before,i have always installed 2 seperate fans as you mentioned trev but if in future i was to do it is wiring same as lighting - im going to talk to client about changing to 2 seperate fans, makes more sense

D

DurhamSparky

as already mentioned...! just draw a diagram...! it will be all clear as mud..!

snowhead

-
Mentor
Light = item of electrical equipment.
Fan = item of electrical equipment.

Both require N and switched L and one requires and permanent L.
No reason why you can't 2 way switch, EXCEPT,

Upon loss of switched Live, you can see one has gone off, but the other one goes into timed off mode.
Unless you fit an indicator at each switch, you'll never be sure the fan is going to go off.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
if you're not using the lighting switching to activate the fan, then it's a simple 2 way switching arrangement to activate the fan. a permanent L to the fan if you want overrun. isolator is optional if there's natural light available for maintenance purposes.

Firstly i would check the required ventilation rates for these two rooms as they will be different if you check the book, also they are ducted together so I guess this must be an in-line fan so someone can invertently turn it off if required in the other room.
All sounds alot of agro with no real gain. The same amount of wiring and the same amount of ducting. Only thing being saved is the cost of a fan unit. If I came across this setup I would assume DIY.

D

DurhamSparky

only way i can see it working as you want it to is to drop a perm feed to fan and bring 2x switch cables off from the isolator to the switches...!

that way you would need to turn the switches off after use in that room.

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Hope its not a standard wall fan you're installing. They struggle to vent without ducting, never mind adding a meter or so of duct.

R

Rauer

U would go for two fans but if you are going down the inline route why don't you use a timer fan and two retractive switches

A

Adam W

Why does the client want the fans switched independently from the lights? The whole point of switching it all together is so you can't forget to turn the fan on.
Sure the client knows, but will the next person who moves in know, or guests, or will his wife/kids bother every time?

Either they'll have to put up a sign or tell every visitor (which I can't see happening) or a visitor goes to use the bathroom, goes to the switches - "OK this one does... Nothing, this one.... Ah, turns the lights on." Visitor uses the bathroom, turns the light off when leaving, next person goes in, bathroom smells of farts. Embarrassing for all involved.

In short, if you have a weird switching arrangement the fans won't get used, making there no point in installing them at all.

D

DurhamSparky

why not just fit 2x humidistat fans with no switches at all...! they will turn on and off as required!

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
but humidstats won't react to farts, unless they are extremely wet ones, in which case, who cares about the fan? more a case of rinsing underpants.

R

Richard

How do you know if the fans on or off?? I can see it now getting left on half the time!!

K

knasher

but humidstats won't react to farts, unless they are extremely wet ones, in which case, who cares about the fan? more a case of rinsing underpants.
I think thats one for "Things an electrician would never say" thread

J

J_c9sh

Fantastic diagram rich, thanks but does that mean from diagram that no strappers are required, just a switch wire from each switch, both connected to the fan?

R

robsparky1975

Lol my stomachs hurting from laughter,cheaper setup is what we have in our house 1 x lazy sparks who has never got round to fitting the extractor that has been collecting cobwebs for the last 5 years,ill do it one day but for now the oust spray works a treat,must get that fitted.

Taylortwocities

-
Arms
Esteemed
Moving slightly away from the electrical side...

If you have two fans sharing one duct then you will also have to fit one-way (back-draft) flaps in each fan branch. If you don't then air from one room will get pumped into the other, and vice versa. Not great if you have post curry fog seeping into the utility room:sick:

R

Richard

Fantastic diagram rich, thanks but does that mean from diagram that no strappers are required, just a switch wire from each switch, both connected to the fan?

Sort of. This will mean that in each location you'll end up with just one light swtich in each room and the fan operated if either light is on. The double pole swtiching then prevents feedback turning the other light on. Whether this will suit your situation, I don't know?

Rich

Reply to Is 2way switching for a fan the same wiring as 2 way lighting?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!

Select the ways in which you gain online business

• MyBuilder.com

• Federation of Master Builders

• CheckaTrade.com

• RatedPeople.com

• TrustaTrader.com

• Which? (TrustedTraders.Which.co.uk)

• MyJobQuote.co.uk

• Yell.com

• Google Paid Advertising

• Own Website with Natural Ranking (SEO'd website)

• Social Media (Facebook Twitter Instagram etc)

• Word of Mouth Only for me

Results are only viewable after voting.

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Top Bottom