Discuss Is 2way switching for a fan the same wiring as 2 way lighting?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

J_c9sh

hi, doing some work for client and they have asked for a fan to be 2 way switched, 1 switch in utility room and the other in the bathroom next door

my query - is 2 way switching for a fan the same wiring as 2 way lighting with a permanent feed going to the fan for a run on timer??

thanks

I'd go for 2 separate fans as well - one in the bathroom, one in the utility room. Then you could have the fans coming on with the lights, like 'normal'.
Otherwise the lights would all come on together unless you start messing about with diodes and relays and that, by which time you might as well have installed 2 fans anyway.

i would put the 3p isolator before the fan of course lol but would you use strappers , s/w, pernament feed etc like 2 way lighting

just need to know correct wiring

thanks

this is what they want

utility room - 1 2g switch, one for light and one for fan
bathroom - 1 2g switch, one for light and one for fan but 2 wayed with utility room switch

lights on seperate switch

just need to know correct wiring

I honestly think it'll be cheaper, quicker and a lot less hassle with two extract fans. In the long term I'd say the customer will thank you for it

i never installed 2 way fan control before,i have always installed 2 seperate fans as you mentioned trev but if in future i was to do it is wiring same as lighting - im going to talk to client about changing to 2 seperate fans, makes more sense

Light = item of electrical equipment.
Fan = item of electrical equipment.

Both require N and switched L and one requires and permanent L.
No reason why you can't 2 way switch, EXCEPT,

Upon loss of switched Live, you can see one has gone off, but the other one goes into timed off mode.
Unless you fit an indicator at each switch, you'll never be sure the fan is going to go off.

if you're not using the lighting switching to activate the fan, then it's a simple 2 way switching arrangement to activate the fan. a permanent L to the fan if you want overrun. isolator is optional if there's natural light available for maintenance purposes.

Firstly i would check the required ventilation rates for these two rooms as they will be different if you check the book, also they are ducted together so I guess this must be an in-line fan so someone can invertently turn it off if required in the other room.
All sounds alot of agro with no real gain. The same amount of wiring and the same amount of ducting. Only thing being saved is the cost of a fan unit. If I came across this setup I would assume DIY.

only way i can see it working as you want it to is to drop a perm feed to fan and bring 2x switch cables off from the isolator to the switches...!

that way you would need to turn the switches off after use in that room.

Reply to Is 2way switching for a fan the same wiring as 2 way lighting?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock