Discuss Is 2way switching for a fan the same wiring as 2 way lighting?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Why does the client want the fans switched independently from the lights? The whole point of switching it all together is so you can't forget to turn the fan on.
Sure the client knows, but will the next person who moves in know, or guests, or will his wife/kids bother every time?

Either they'll have to put up a sign or tell every visitor (which I can't see happening) or a visitor goes to use the bathroom, goes to the switches - "OK this one does... Nothing, this one.... Ah, turns the lights on." Visitor uses the bathroom, turns the light off when leaving, next person goes in, bathroom smells of farts. Embarrassing for all involved.

In short, if you have a weird switching arrangement the fans won't get used, making there no point in installing them at all.

but humidstats won't react to farts, unless they are extremely wet ones, in which case, who cares about the fan? more a case of rinsing underpants.

but humidstats won't react to farts, unless they are extremely wet ones, in which case, who cares about the fan? more a case of rinsing underpants.

I think thats one for "Things an electrician would never say" thread

Fantastic diagram rich, thanks but does that mean from diagram that no strappers are required, just a switch wire from each switch, both connected to the fan?

Lol my stomachs hurting from laughter,cheaper setup is what we have in our house 1 x lazy sparks who has never got round to fitting the extractor that has been collecting cobwebs for the last 5 years,ill do it one day but for now the oust spray works a treat,must get that fitted.

Moving slightly away from the electrical side...

If you have two fans sharing one duct then you will also have to fit one-way (back-draft) flaps in each fan branch. If you don't then air from one room will get pumped into the other, and vice versa. Not great if you have post curry fog seeping into the utility room:sick:

Fantastic diagram rich, thanks but does that mean from diagram that no strappers are required, just a switch wire from each switch, both connected to the fan?

Sort of. This will mean that in each location you'll end up with just one light swtich in each room and the fan operated if either light is on. The double pole swtiching then prevents feedback turning the other light on. Whether this will suit your situation, I don't know?

Rich

Reply to Is 2way switching for a fan the same wiring as 2 way lighting?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock