Discuss Is 50 too old for a new career? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new here :)

I’ve been reading this forum and researching trade courses for some time now because I’m wanting to make a career change. I have not worked in the industry before, but I am multi-skilled and have no doubt that I have the capacity to make a good electrician… but the trouble is, I will be turning 50 in a few months.

At first I thought I could just do a C&G 2365 and then get a job and quickly qualify as an Electrician… But in reality I think it will be a lot more challenging to find work at my age. And if I did find a job, I would be working as an underling for several years before gaining my qualifications and upping my wage.

I’m keen to hear some honest opinions from the professionals. Would I be wasting my time and money to get trained up? And would any firm employ a fifty-year-old novice?

Rather than dash any hopes, I think you have a pragmatic grasp of the situation and don't need anyone to jinx your latest endeavour. I think you called it about right and see the writing on the wall. How about domestic installer self employed and register with a scheme? Or were you thinking industrial/commercial. If so yes I imagine it would be hard but like all things not impossible. It seems it is a very competitive market currently and a lot of people going for the same job. Experience is king here I think along with qualies.

you can do it.a mate of mine was mid-50's, done a short course as DI. now niceic. OK he still has a learning curve to climb wrt faults, testing etc., but put your mind yo it. esp if you are good with the practical side.

But think of all the baggage someone of that age would bring, he will no doubt need a good income, could be set in his ways, could come with medical issues and the list goes on and all this while your trying to teach him a very hard trade.
That's why I said no thanks!!!!!

Guys please watch the language in your replies, I've had to edit 2 already.

Reply to Is 50 too old for a new career? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock