Discuss Is 50 too old for a new career? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

But think of all the baggage someone of that age would bring, he will no doubt need a good income, could be set in his ways, could come with medical issues and the list goes on and all this while your trying to teach him a very hard trade.
That's why I said no thanks!!!!!
I totally agree with you starjack.

No point in sugar coating it.

However we had an apprentice at 40 doing fitting.

We all respected him, he was only at the same rank as me whenever I was serving my time.

He was actually a qualified hairdresser but was sick of people thinking he was gay, he had a wife and two teenage children FFS.

He was a very nice fella. Not afraid to be humble, taking orders and directions of boys in their twenties. He also knew how to have the craic and get along with the younger fellas. He had experience coaching GAA Hurling minor teams, so was used to dealing with young lads.

He managed to serve his time and got a full time job in a pharmaceutical factory across town whenever he qualified.

So it is possible, but not an easy road, he also had to let his wife carry him, for a few years, because obviously the money wasn't great. So he was lucky enough to be able to lie on her.

But think of all the baggage someone of that age would bring, he will no doubt need a good income, could be set in his ways, could come with medical issues and the list goes on and all this while your trying to teach him a very hard trade.
i can see your point, but bear in mind, that 50+ year old may have a load of experience, could be ex-forces with a bit of a pension, mortgage paid off, kids flown the nest. every situ on it's own merits.

How can 2 members disagree with me, are you saying he couldn't have any of the issues I mentioned or do you have a crystal ball.
Silly rating to give in my opinion.

I see no reason not to take on someone at 50. At least they are not liable to be sat on their phone all day or phoning in sick every week. If you've got the enthusiasm to learn then go for it. I had a major job change in my mid 40s. I was night shift factory maintenance. Factory closed and now I clamber about on top of transformers at power stations, repair LV/HV/EHV switchgear, fault gas analysis and an assortment of other jobs I didn't even know existed. You are never too old to learn and there's someone out there who will employ you.

Hi, I’m new here :)

I’ve been reading this forum and researching trade courses for some time now because I’m wanting to make a career change. I have not worked in the industry before, but I am multi-skilled and have no doubt that I have the capacity to make a good electrician… but the trouble is, I will be turning 50 in a few months.

At first I thought I could just do a C&G 2365 and then get a job and quickly qualify as an Electrician… But in reality I think it will be a lot more challenging to find work at my age. And if I did find a job, I would be working as an underling for several years before gaining my qualifications and upping my wage.

I’m keen to hear some honest opinions from the professionals. Would I be wasting my time and money to get trained up? And would any firm employ a fifty-year-old novice?
Hi, it is quite physical, anyway I done my gas safe course in 2017, at the age of 53. Crack on.!!

How can 2 members disagree with me, are you saying he couldn't have any of the issues I mentioned or do you have a crystal ball.
Silly rating to give in my opinion.
How old are you Starjacky boy.

let me say to the op just go for it ,if theirs nothing to stop you ,has Jim
Bowen you to say why not.

Firstly I'm new here so don't know any members or their quirky ways but I have been reading a few of your posts and just have to ask you if you're speaking a language I'm not familiar with, I've come across a few in my time but yours is by far the strangest one I've encountered. Are you speaking with fork tongue or something.
Just curious really!!!

38 westwardy, how about you.
Hang on I haven't accidently joined a dating site have I.
on this forum you will find quirkeys, sarceys, cynics, alkeys, trolls, bullshi$$ers, and maybe a few knowledgeable posts. feel free to browse , rip, terrify, and otherwise cause mayhem. but the n beware. you come into my web..there is no escape.you will be assimilated into the Borg.

IMO it can be done at 50 but it's going to be really really tough. Only you can analyse your own situation.

Some things to bare in mind:

It's a physically demanding job, how physically fit and active are you?

You won't be earning anything decent for the first 5 years, especially with expenses on courses. Is that an issue for you, do you have family relying on you for bread and butter you're going to find difficult to provide for a few years?

As harsh as it sounds, a lot of companies won't be employing you at 50 without experience. You'll be lucky to get someone to take you on. Alot of people would rather employ telectrix at 72 with his experience, than someone at 50 without any experience.

Do you have any medical issues like starjack pointed out. This is not a job you'll sit behind a desk with medical issues. You'll be getting dirty, smelly, aching body on many days you by the time you get home.

Reply to Is 50 too old for a new career? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock