Discuss Is 8awg ok to use for a branch circuit (30amp leg) ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I wanted to ask if 8awg (stranded) was safe to use for residential? I am wanting to run a branch circuit from my main panel to the garage (about 15ft away) into subpanel. Actually it's a 70amp Eaton 2circuit loadcenter. I dont have anymore room in my current Main panel so Ive read on here how many others have dealt with it. I was going to run this 8awg stranded to the Eaton so I could run my compressor (15amp 240v) on one leg. I am by no stretch of the imagination an Electrician so I'm hoping to find some advice and not get boo'd off the forum for not knowing that much. What I have to work with is the Eaton 70amp 2/4 loadcenter, Square D L211N 30amp enclosed switch and a Square D type 3R 60amp enclosed molded case switch not fusible, 10/2 and 8awg (red white green). I want to be as safe as possible but not sure whats the best way to go about it so any help would be greatly appreciated

I wanted to ask if 8awg (stranded) was safe to use for residential? I am wanting to run a branch circuit from my main panel to the garage (about 15ft away) into subpanel. Actually it's a 70amp Eaton 2circuit loadcenter. I dont have anymore room in my current Main panel so Ive read on here how many others have dealt with it. I was going to run this 8awg stranded to the Eaton so I could run my compressor (15amp 240v) on one leg. I am by no stretch of the imagination an Electrician so I'm hoping to find some advice and not get boo'd off the forum for not knowing that much. What I have to work with is the Eaton 70amp 2/4 loadcenter, Square D L211N 30amp enclosed switch and a Square D type 3R 60amp enclosed molded case switch not fusible, 10/2 and 8awg (red white green). I want to be as safe as possible but not sure whats the best way to go about it so any help would be greatly appreciated
If you are going to pull #8 wire to your building don’t short cut. You will need 3 #8 and one #10 four your equipment ground olds 2 hots and 1 neutral. You can install a 40 amp breaker double pole in your main panel to feed your panel in your building. If you are short on spaces then you can purchase slim line breakers to free up space.

If you are going to pull #8 wire to your building don’t short cut. You will need 3 #8 and one #10 four your equipment ground olds 2 hots and 1 neutral. You can install a 40 amp breaker double pole in your main panel to feed your panel in your building. If you are short on spaces then you can purchase slim line breakers to free up space.

Thank you for the reply, ok so I need to use 8/3? I have 8awg but its stranded. I was going to crimp terminals on the ends so the would have better contact once installed from the breaker to the enclosed switch. Should I just bite the bullet and buy the actual solid wire length I need or can I use the stranded 8awg?

Thank you for the reply, ok so I need to use 8/3? I have 8awg but its stranded. I was going to crimp terminals on the ends so the would have better contact once installed from the breaker to the enclosed switch. Should I just bite the bullet and buy the actual solid wire length I need or can I use the stranded 8awg?
Stay with the stranded and good luck. Not sure you will need terminals but I like the way you think.

Reply to Is 8awg ok to use for a branch circuit (30amp leg) ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net