Discuss Is a taped joint really that bad? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I know that connector block taped looks ---- compared to in a JB but is it really that bad? the reaction to seeing one is always oooft!! terrible. If the taped joint is indoors and in a place where it would just sit there like Tutankhamun never to be disturbed ,then what extra protection would a jb provide? is the pudding joint being unfairly treated in this era of political correctness and the easily offended snowflake electrician???

Years ago, loads of people did it... but we, as all good sparks, always used Ashley joint boxes. Mind you, even those are frowned on these MF days......some find them and say how terrible they are....but there was no alternative and if fitted correctly, what's the problem?

Years ago, loads of people did it... but we always used Ashley joint boxes. Mind you, even those are frowned on these MF days......some find them and say how terrible they are....but there was no alternative and if fitted correctly, what's the problem?
my thoughts exactly, mr chocbox's propaganda machine has vilified the humble pudding joint

There was always alternatives to loose, taped joints, though. Seen some lovely multi joint boxes with lead sheathed cables in the past.

Why celebrate minimal standards when better alternatives exist and always have done ?
Why not do without the tape ? Why not do without the plastic round the brass connectors ? If not disturbed or discovered it'll be fine. Right ?
[/QUOT
Why celebrate minimal standards when better alternatives exist and always have done ?
Why not do without the tape ? Why not do without the plastic round the brass connectors ? If not disturbed or discovered it'll be fine. Right ?
Why does the sun come up? and are the stars just pinholes in the curtains of night?
Not celebrating just making an observation. You make your all high and mighty point but do not answer my original question

Those are examples of bad workmanship, not to be confused with a good solid connector block joint that it taped rather than inside a jb
Ah...but not as far as those who did it.....and that's part of the reason for having the 'rules'.
I know what you mean, though.

It is neither safe nor practical to inspect or test a taped joint, and as it is not MF then both must be safely achievable. Secondly it is not possible to guarantee the same degree of insulation by on site taping as originally provided by the cable or a properly designed joint box

and whatever HV cables above railway and tram lines.

Years ago, loads of people did it... but we, as all good sparks, always used Ashley joint boxes. Mind you, even those are frowned on these MF days......some find them and say how terrible they are....but there was no alternative and if fitted correctly, what's the problem?

I would say there has always been an alternative to a choc block connector wrapped in layers of tape. It is not satisfactory in several ways, including aesthetics, testing, safety.

Also, insulation tape glue degrades after a short period of time. Especially if its exposed to varying temperature fluctuations. How many times have you come across a taped joint or chock block and found the "stickiness" of the tape has diminished?

Taped choc block connectors are usually a sign of other DIY 'make do & mend' compromises that you'll go on to find. Undersized cable, incorrectly rated CPDs, twisted together CPCs, cut off CPCs, complete disregard for IP suitability, etc, etc.

Reply to Is a taped joint really that bad? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net