Discuss Is an Isolation Switch Required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I just wanted to check with more experienced guys on the requirement for an isolation switch. I have been asked to replace a CCU and I had a quick look at the job before doing all the pre testing that is needed. There is no Isolation Switch or Henley Block, just the 16mm old colour tails coming out of an old style rotary meter. The providers seal is still on the incoming fuse.
What is the best way to proceed? Do I need to get the provider or DNO to install an isolation switch and henley block or is there another way of doing it?

Many thanks.

How close is the cu to the meter? If your cutting the seal may aswell tails your new 25mm tails into the meter and use your main switch in the cu as single point of isolation. No need for another switch in the installation then.

If you want isolation to change CU you are best advised to get the DNO to provide this. However the cost may be prohibitive. So you will have to pray for a fairy. There are dangers associated with pulling main fuse and the fact it is an offence, so you are between a rock and a hard place on that one. In the south west it costs £150 ish to isolate would the customer stand that? As to is an isolation switch required.... I would say definitely yes.

I have fitted many a main switch to replace a CU and never cut the seal or pulled a fuse. Who said that not me surely and don't call me Shirley.

I've had the DNO fit an isolator for me (supplied by me) if you can find a reason to have them on site. So a DNO fuse upgrade or new tails and they are there just ask them.

It would be an idea for you to check your DNO's policy on electricians removing their main fuse & cutting their seals to do so, if you work in predominately one area.

My DNO SSG, permit electricians registered with a scheme, to do the above. They also provide temporary seals for re-sealing afterwards.

Whilst I agree removing a main fuse can be dangerous in certain circumstances, a dynamic risk assessment should negate that, and should not be done under load.

As has been suggested, if there is a valid reason for them to attend (loose tails for example) then just get setup with an isolator ready and get them in to attend the safety issue. The guys I've encountered from WPD have all been great and very helpful.

I'm my experience - some DNOs are happy to install a 100A isolator FOC -i Usually write a brief note for the customer to say to the DNO as request has to come from customer.

Failing that I know some DNOs are happy to scheme registered sparks to cut the seals & reinstate (Scottish power- have a PDF on their website allowing this)

I keep this little lass in a glass jar in my toolbag

Is an Isolation Switch Required {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to Is an Isolation Switch Required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock