Discuss Is an rcd in a box a consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

The supply to my MILs shed doesn't have rcd protection. The board supplying the shed is an old one and the mcbs can't be changed to rcbos

is it notifiable to take the existing shed supply cable that's coming out of the CU and redirect it through an rcd or rcbo in a single module box?

i wouldn't be replacing a CU and if adding an fcu isn't adding a new circuit then surely adding a single smaller breaker downstream of an existing one isnt creating a new circuit either? the original fuse is still protecting the original wiring at the origin of the circuit. all i've done is added more protection to the cable before it goes outside.

So i was just wondering if what i suggested is notifiable? and can the module box be plastic or does it have to be 18th edition metal etc?

I mean it wouldn't be notifiable if i was adding a double pole isolator in a box, so i'm hoping a single breaker in a box isn't a consumer unit either.

Thank you for reading

just fit a stand alone RCD in an enclosure. the small "garage board" would do with just a RCD in it. add a MCB if required. not notifiable under part P as it's just an alteration to an existing circuit.

Fitting a Stand alone isolator / rcd is NOT a notifiable job

Replacing an MCB / Rcbo is NOT a notifiable job

Reply to Is an rcd in a box a consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Ok, most new Consumer unit seem to come with a 63A RCCB and two MCBs. Most house consumer units now will also have RCD of some type be it a dual...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I have supplied my Shed with a 6mm SWA cable into a nice consumer unit. In there I have a 6Amp MCB for the lights and a 16 A supplying a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I wondered if anyone could help me with something that has been niggling me please?! When a Solar PV feed in circuit is installed...
Replies
Views
Hello, Is there an actual age limit on house wiring that would prevent a traditional fuse box being replaced with a consumer unit please...
Replies
Views
Hi all, what is the best way to configure surge protection in domestic dwellings when you have multiple consumer units? Does each consumer unit...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock