Discuss Is anyone else having problems accessing certain areas of the forums? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vortigern

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just wondering is it just me or a general problem I encounter. First, I cannot comment on the DIY forum as I have insufficient priveleges. I have raised this a few times with forum admin but nothing has come of it. Secondly today I tried clicking on a thread to the plumbers forum and was told something similar that I am not allowed access to it. Now, I guess Dan or whoever decided I am a numpty and better not be let loose on DIY people as I might advise them wrongly or some such bias (we are all entitled to our opinions) but I cannot fathom the reasoning of the forum that disallows access to the plumbers forum! Could it be a problem on my computer or the server? Oh yeh forgot, I can't post in the general forum either.

Last edited:
I have also seen the issue (week or more ago) with not accessing the plumbing section but assumed it was some closed forum I had not joined.

I can't comment on DIY on here, have given up with that.
Was it gas related or the Trainee or Unvented in the plumbing forum?
I can get on most except the above in the Plumbing forum

Admin and mods have no control over granting people access to the DIY section it is only Dan and Lou who can do this. All we can do is post notes in the mods forum for Dan to pick up on which has been done. I suggest you PM him and see if you get a response. As for the plumbers forum who knows.

So presumably there is some standard which you must reach to post on the DIY forum as clearly it is not just me then. Looking at the subs system it does not appear to offer access to post on the DIY forum for cash so I think (tentatively) that is not the reason. It may be a lack of privilege which some have and some don't as some can post on the DIY forum. Often I have had something to say which no one else had thought of and would have been useful but lack of privilege stopped play. So the question is how does one get the "privilege" to post? In fact I think that although the forum does not allow posting on DIY no doubt due to some hidden policy, which must be to do with perceived expertise by the forum, I am happy to let it go. If the scheme I am with finds I am competent that is the important thing to me. The forum opinion of my or others abilities is a somewhat specious form of approval that is not really needed. As to the plumber forum, yes it was to do with air entering a megaflow system.
[automerge]1587201085[/automerge]
I suggest you PM him
Already done that as stated in OP. No response. Done it a couple of times and even Lou but again no response. Tried Sparkychick who to her credit did respond quite rapidly but that petered out to nothing (no reflection on you Sparkychick!). So thought I would throw it out to the general forum to try and get some idea of what is going on, i.e. is it my computer or the forum in essence. Just mystified by the mechanics of it.

Last edited:
There is nothing untoward going on, access is solely down to Dan and Lou and has nothing to do with privilege or expertise.

I've mentioned @Dan and @Lou in a number of posts relating to this issue.

They have a lot going on right now, so whilst I appreciate people may want to post, the current situation is such that they don't have a lot of time to be worrying about the forums so much.

Message @Dan mate, I can honestly say every message I’ve ever sent gets a reply......occasionally there’s a delay, I assume he has a life outside of here ? but always a reply ?

Message @Dan mate
As stated, already done I think a few months ago and in between. @westward10 I don't suppose there is anything untoward going on. Just curious as to the mechanics so to speak. I imagine it is something to do with the big change over we had and certain little wrinkles have yet to be sorted. You say nothing to do with privilege yet the message states it is! Not too worried it's just niggling me that's all.:)

There is nothing untoward going on this did indeed all come about in the forum shake-up. To say you have insufficient privileges just means you don't have the privilege to post nothing else. Dan restricted access to the DIY forum and it is under his control as many complaints he received were from DIY posters being given the cold shoulder advice of get an electrician in and whilst in some cases this may be an outcome often advice to help them can be given.

Just wondering is it just me or a general problem I encounter. First, I cannot comment on the DIY forum as I have insufficient priveleges. I have raised this a few times with forum admin but nothing has come of it. Secondly today I tried clicking on a thread to the plumbers forum and was told something similar that I am not allowed access to it. Now, I guess Dan or whoever decided I am a numpty and better not be let loose on DIY people as I might advise them wrongly or some such bias (we are all entitled to our opinions) but I cannot fathom the reasoning of the forum that disallows access to the plumbers forum! Could it be a problem on my computer or the server? Oh yeh forgot, I can't post in the general forum either.
If you're trying to access the plumbing forum (the actual website) it has it's own login system and you'd need to register.

If you're trying to access the RSS (news) plumbing forum on this forum, it's a system to simply cross-promote each forum that Dan has implemented for a dozen or so months while Google is picking up our domains and transferring them over from .co.uk to .net.

If you replied to that auto-fed RSS thread, the actual person asking the question, on the actual plumbing forum, wouldn't be notified of your reply. So the way to reply is to click the link in that thread, visit the actual plumbing forum, register and / or login, and reply to the thread there.

Nothing personal. No need to be arsey.

It does explain in each thread that it's an automatic post and to respond on the other forum if you have an answer, or ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is anyone else having problems accessing certain areas of the forums? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net