Discuss Is fire detection compulsory?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Reg Man

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I have just been asked to undertake a full re-wire of a 3 bed semi. Nothing unusual there.
The question is, are mains powered smokes & a heat detector compulsory as part of a re-wire according to BS standards. I've always put them in before and it has never been questioned. This customer has a tight budget and may want them removed!!. Obviously life is worth nothing in this house!!!
Any reference would be appreciated.

Cheers all

C

clinger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As I understand it, the only time you are required to install fire detection in a domestic property is when an habitable room is created on the ground floor without an exit out of the building or a new room is created on another floor.

So in answer to your question NO however I would always push to do wired linked smokes as the don't cost the earth and improve safety no end (also more money in my pocket lets be honest).

T

tony.towa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Part B of Building Regs requires smoke/fire detection and alarm in all new and refurbished dwellings.

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Is fire detection compulsory?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom