Discuss Is galv conduit containing insulated and sheathed cables (e.g. T&E) still an exposed-conductive part? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

happysteve

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Eh up :)

As per the title, "Is galv conduit containing insulated and sheathed cables (e.g. T&E) still an exposed-conductive part?"

Clearly, if it contained unsheathed singles, it obviously is.

If it's not an exposed-conductive part (and it's not extraneous in the case I'm thinking of) then it doesn't require earthing.

My gut instinct is that it's still an exposed-conductive part, but section 10.11 of GN8 - which is about cable tray, not conduit - got me thinking. That section (which refers to tray), states:

"A cable complying with the appropriate standard having a non-metallic sheath or a non-metallic enclosure is deemed to provide satisfactory basic protection and fault protection, as does an item of Class II equipment (Regulation 412.2.4.1 refers). Class II equipment is constructed such that any insulation fault in the cable cannot result in a fault current flowing into any conductive parts with which the equipment may be in contact. Hence, the metal cable tray or basket need not be earthed."

On the other hand, as insulated and sheathed cables are drawn into galv conduit, they may experience damage to their sheath which could not be spotted by inspection (they shouldn't get damaged if you do it carefully, but sometimes it happens). Hence my gut feeling of treating it as an exposed-conductive part. Which means an extra 4mm conductor for earthing it back to the MET (trivial to do).

Any thoughts, one way or the other? :)

I see the dilemma it just states cable tray and basket. No mention of conduit.

Rather than take 4mm back to the board, earth it locally using final circuit conductors cpc.
but that brings another dilemma, if you break into the T&E to expose the cpc in order to earth conduit you’ve exposed the basic insulation resulting in the need to bond.

We’ve just entered a paradox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting,using conduit for T/E,seen it so many times,the conduit connects to a metal socket outlet,then it will be earthed.
years ago this method would not be used,it’s the same old story,fast fixing.
Never like the idea of mixing different cabling installs,myself.

I see the dilemma it just states cable tray and basked. No mention of conduit.

Rather than take 4mm back to the board, earth it locally using final circuit conductors cpc.
but that brings another dilemma, if you break into the T&E to expose the cpc in order to earth conduit you’ve exposed the basic insulation resulting in the need to bond.

We’ve just entered a paradox.
just earth conduit at source , then flylead from cpc at end of circuit.

The 15th Ed allowed for steel conduit, where used for the mechanical protection of cables having a non-metallic sheath to be absent of indirect contact protection (earth). This disappeared in the 16th although it was still permitted provided the length of conduit did not exceed 150mm and was concealed. Not looked in 17th or 18th.

Why is the T&E being installed in steel conduit? Is it decorative or there for mechanical protection?

If its there for mechanical protection then I would definately earth it as this implies there is risk of mechanical damage which could result in the conduit being crushed or penetrated damaging the cable inside.

If its just decorative then maybe not worry about earthing it.

I didn't want to introduce any unnecessary joints, and in this case it's trivial to run an extra 4mm G/Y to the MET.

Interesting,using conduit for T/E,seen it so many times,the conduit connects to a metal socket outlet,then it will be earthed.
years ago this method would not be used,it’s the same old story,fast fixing.
Never like the idea of mixing different cabling installs,myself.
In this case, the conduit is used purely for mechanical protection of the cables, outside. It's running new circuits for a new kitchen round the outside of a house (6mm cooker and 2x2.5mm for a kitchen sockets RFC; lighting already in place). Often this would be done in PVC conduit (mostly for UV protection of the cables, and looks, as well as a bit of mechanical protection) but the client wasn't convinced PVC would offer enough mechanical protection, so galv it is. The conduit won't be connected directly to the back of the socket (for a start, there's more than one circuit). I've installed galv conduit a few times, and have always used singles up to now.

just earth conduit at source , then flylead from cpc at end of circuit.
I'm only going to connect at source, if I'm honest. I could take a 4mm G/Y from one of the back boxes (cooker isolator or first socket) back to the final end BESA box of the run (outside) as well, but I don't really see the need if it's earthed at source. Happy to be convinced otherwise, though.

Why is the T&E being installed in steel conduit? Is it decorative or there for mechanical protection?

If its there for mechanical protection then I would definately earth it as this implies there is risk of mechanical damage which could result in the conduit being crushed or penetrated damaging the cable inside.

If its just decorative then maybe not worry about earthing it.
Thanks, this reply appeared while I was typing the rest.
It's for mechanical protection, but not in the "traditional" sense - it's not likely to suffer impact damage, it's more to prevent other people messing with circuits on the outside of a house. As far as I can see, the only risk of damage is at the point where you draw the cables in, which will be minimal.

Plus, it was an interesting technical thing to ponder. :)

Thanks everyone for your replies so far (particularly @westward10 for the historical perspective). :)

I think it’s a judgement call for the designer/installer to satisfy themselves that if the conduit is not earthed, then the conduit is very unlikely to become live due to external influences or damage to the internal wiring system Within.
[automerge]1571570403[/automerge]
Tho to add we do not treat swa the same, we earth the armouring as it’s classed as an exposed conductive part.
There’s a layer of insulation’bedding’ that covers the single insulated conductors that may not be classed the same as sheathing on t&e but nevertheless it’s similar but we wouldn’t dream of not earthing the armour, even if glanded into a plastic enclosure.

Last edited:
earth it and bang in a couple of rods, connected to the conduit with jubilee clips. get the Zs right down then. :p :p :p

There is a situation of such which occurs in domestic rewiring, isn't there.
In the main, existing (old) conduits in walls being used for rewiring switch drops, using T+E or sheathed singles. It was usually old 5/8 conduit. Being enclosed in the wall, I can't see any problem not earthing, as long as due care is taken, whilst installing.....and assuming there is enough space in the conduit. If it's for mechanical protection, earth it.

Last edited:
Eh up :)

As per the title, "Is galv conduit containing insulated and sheathed cables (e.g. T&E) still an exposed-conductive part?"

Clearly, if it contained unsheathed singles, it obviously is.

If it's not an exposed-conductive part (and it's not extraneous in the case I'm thinking of) then it doesn't require earthing.

My gut instinct is that it's still an exposed-conductive part, but section 10.11 of GN8 - which is about cable tray, not conduit - got me thinking. That section (which refers to tray), states:

"A cable complying with the appropriate standard having a non-metallic sheath or a non-metallic enclosure is deemed to provide satisfactory basic protection and fault protection, as does an item of Class II equipment (Regulation 412.2.4.1 refers). Class II equipment is constructed such that any insulation fault in the cable cannot result in a fault current flowing into any conductive parts with which the equipment may be in contact. Hence, the metal cable tray or basket need not be earthed."

On the other hand, as insulated and sheathed cables are drawn into galv conduit, they may experience damage to their sheath which could not be spotted by inspection (they shouldn't get damaged if you do it carefully, but sometimes it happens). Hence my gut feeling of treating it as an exposed-conductive part. Which means an extra 4mm conductor for earthing it back to the MET (trivial to do).

Any thoughts, one way or the other? :)
If it’s a hard pull with a lot of NM sheath cables I will meg all cables to test the insulation to make sure nothing got damaged

Reply to Is galv conduit containing insulated and sheathed cables (e.g. T&E) still an exposed-conductive part? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock