Discuss Is is possible to connect a used Lithium Ion Battery from a Two Seater Smart car to an inverter? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Martin001A

The idea of having electrical power from 240volt AC sockets in a sectional building not on the national grid is becoming popular among those who want to live in a tiny house. Is it possible to connect somehow a used lithium ion battery from a Two seater Smart Car to an inverter? Then to connect it to something else to stop the load surging and short out the battery. This idea is for the battery to power domestic applicances such as a washing machine, PC, PC monitor, up to six lightbulbs, one cooker, one kettle, one immersion heater, one central heating pump and one Tv. Would the load on the one battery be too much? Would there be a danger of shorting out due to the electrical load on one battery? Could you explain the equipment involved in such a set up? I know of one such set up being used at the moment only to power three lightbulbs and a stereo which has been featured on You Tube? Do other lithium ion batteries from other used electric cars have the same power? Or are there some used lithium ion car batteries that can provide greater power than a used Two Seater Smart car battery?

If you want a battery and inverter system to power a whole house including kettles, immersion etc then prepare to buy several very expensive batteries. Also some very heavy gauge cabling for the battery feed.

The calculations will probably surprise you

Reply to Is is possible to connect a used Lithium Ion Battery from a Two Seater Smart car to an inverter? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net