Discuss Is it ALWAYS incorrect to put a switch in the Neutral line? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

PJS

I have a tank for collecting rainwater from various roofs, fitted with a submersible pump for pumping the water back out again.

Since the water is required only intermittently for watering plants and washing cars, it makes little sense to keep the pump and system pressurised 24/7 – but since the RCD switch for the pump is more than 50M from either of the taps and I prefer not to operate 13A switches with wet hands, I am thinking of installing 2-way 6A ceiling pull switches next to each of the taps.

(The 1200W submersible pump came with integral mains cable and fitted 13A plug, but routing the cable through the garage wall required cutting off the 13A plug and then reconnecting it via an IP65 connection box).

Can anyone give valid reasons (or quote the valid regs) why it is mandatory/preferable to run a Live feed out over 50M and back again, rather than put the switches in an extended Neutral line?

TIA

switches must never be put into the neutral line. this means that the pump is still live, even though the switch is in the off position. also switching the neutral will not neccasarilly turn the pump off if a problem happens. for example, the pump motor burns out, and you have water in contact with the windings. because you have switched the neutral, the live will still be able to flow to earth, and you have a cable with a long duration, low current overlaod. this is a very dangerous situaTION.

I question your competence, if your even contemplating switching a neutral.

I'm not sure I understand your reason for doing it this way.
Firstly a 6A light switch wouldn't be the same rating as the rest of the circuit.
You'd be better off using an outdoor 20A double pole switch.

EAWR 1989 regulation 5: No electrical equipment shall be put into use where it's strength and capability may be exceeded in such a way as may give rise to danger.

That's what the law says.

Reg 132.14.1 A single-pole fuse, switch or circuit-breaker shall be inserted in the line conductor only.

You can't get much clearer than that.

Double pole rotary isolator. IP65, between RCD and load is the way i'd do it.

Eng 54

It must be laff......................no:confused:
Do people like this really exist?
Should we really help people like this or tell them to call a proper sparks???

if the op has very little electrical knowledge though, not a spark, then he's right to ask for advice, though. what may be 2nd nature to us is not necessarily clear to a non spark. if i were to decide to take up brain surgery, i'd ask on the appropriate forum which scalpel to start with. LOL.:13:

Reply to Is it ALWAYS incorrect to put a switch in the Neutral line? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net