Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Is it Just me who Hesitates on IR test ? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TPES

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I always seem to have doubts before i press that TEST Button at 500v, Ive got in the habbit of always slinging 250v down before i go upto 500v.

And the past few IR test's ive done are always very low... Just my bad luck i suppose.

I will test at 250v and see what i get, if i get the 0.00 then theres a good chance ive left a load in, check everything is unpluged, lamps removed etc.. once checked ill test again.

The last IR test i did i was getting just under 200 across L/E, N/E. what would you do with this?
As there is a reading would i be safe to say every load is dissconected? (As if there was a load connected i would be getting a much lower reading nearer 0.00)

So i am safe to do the 500v test if a reading shows?

I just want to know a gauranteed way that i will not damage anything when putting 500v into circiut.

What minimum Reading would you say is acceptable? I know 500v >1.0 in the regs book, and most sparks investigate at anyhthing at <2.0

Aico 3000 Range
you seem to have it all under control starting at 250v is a good idea. depending on the age of the installation as to which readings i investigate new i really want it all>299 on an older job i look at stuff under about 50meg (me being fussy and all that):) your 200 readings are ok so its fine to do 500v

T

TPES

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If it was a new install would you be expecting to always get greater than you meters maximum reading?
How often do you really get this "Meters Maximum reading, With 100% perfect results" ?
Its very rare for me to find a reading that is >1999, my meters maximum.

I know a spark that put down his meters maximum result for IR, even though it was less.. Is he doing this just because it looks good on the cert?

Last edited by a moderator:
i always right down what the meter says >299 on a mft 1552 is max at 500v if you record what you got and the nic look at your job later there is no issue over the readings

S

Spudnik

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you are getting a high ish reading then its generally ok as said above, as a lot of meters only go to 299 anyway.

If you get a completely flat reading then there is a good chance there is something still connected or not isolated.

If in any real doubt, you can test l/n - e and put this down as a limitation, although on a new install, you should know where everything is and so should have isolated.

Aico 3000 Range

Reply to Is it Just me who Hesitates on IR test ? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
Top Bottom