Discuss Is it Just me who Hesitates on IR test ? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

TPES

I always seem to have doubts before i press that TEST Button at 500v, Ive got in the habbit of always slinging 250v down before i go upto 500v.

And the past few IR test's ive done are always very low... Just my bad luck i suppose.

I will test at 250v and see what i get, if i get the 0.00 then theres a good chance ive left a load in, check everything is unpluged, lamps removed etc.. once checked ill test again.

The last IR test i did i was getting just under 200 across L/E, N/E. what would you do with this?
As there is a reading would i be safe to say every load is dissconected? (As if there was a load connected i would be getting a much lower reading nearer 0.00)

So i am safe to do the 500v test if a reading shows?

I just want to know a gauranteed way that i will not damage anything when putting 500v into circiut.

What minimum Reading would you say is acceptable? I know 500v >1.0 in the regs book, and most sparks investigate at anyhthing at <2.0

you seem to have it all under control starting at 250v is a good idea. depending on the age of the installation as to which readings i investigate new i really want it all>299 on an older job i look at stuff under about 50meg (me being fussy and all that):) your 200 readings are ok so its fine to do 500v

If it was a new install would you be expecting to always get greater than you meters maximum reading?
How often do you really get this "Meters Maximum reading, With 100% perfect results" ?
Its very rare for me to find a reading that is >1999, my meters maximum.

I know a spark that put down his meters maximum result for IR, even though it was less.. Is he doing this just because it looks good on the cert?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are getting a high ish reading then its generally ok as said above, as a lot of meters only go to 299 anyway.

If you get a completely flat reading then there is a good chance there is something still connected or not isolated.

If in any real doubt, you can test l/n - e and put this down as a limitation, although on a new install, you should know where everything is and so should have isolated.

Reply to Is it Just me who Hesitates on IR test ? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock