Discuss Is it me??? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

sparksburnout

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I do a bit of work for a local builder, he always uses the same plumbers and I have worked with them fairly frequently, seemed like decent sorts, did a not too bad job, some slightly questionable joist drilling now and again, but BCO never raised any problem (I am assuming that the regs for plumbing are different lol?). Anyway, I was approached by someone I had done some work for to see if I thought a quote they had had for a new CH system was excessive, so I put them in touch with said plumbers and they ended up getting the job, for which "I am a star" apparently. Thing is, I was sort of expecting a little drinky might be the order of the day. Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't do it for that reason, but if it had been the other way round I think I might have come up with a little pressie for someone who got me a good little earner of a job with zero effort. I guess times have changed, or is it me being old fashioned? Has the world changed that much??

I do a bit of work for a local builder, he always uses the same plumbers and I have worked with them fairly frequently, seemed like decent sorts, did a not too bad job, some slightly questionable joist drilling now and again, but BCO never raised any problem (I am assuming that the regs for plumbing are different lol?). Anyway, I was approached by someone I had done some work for to see if I thought a quote they had had for a new CH system was excessive, so I put them in touch with said plumbers and they ended up getting the job, for which "I am a star" apparently. Thing is, I was sort of expecting a little drinky might be the order of the day. Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't do it for that reason, but if it had been the other way round I think I might have come up with a little pressie for someone who got me a good little earner of a job with zero effort. I guess times have changed, or is it me being old fashioned? Has the world changed that much??
Yes I think the world has changed for the worse, in your case I would drop a few hints to your Mate the Plumber, along the line "how much did you make on that job I lined up for you" if nothing is forthcoming then don't do him any more favours, a bit childish maybe, but you obviously feel strongly about the lack of a few quid coming your way, see how it goes.

If you get some work chucked your way in the future then bonus. If not then you've helped out a customer and a fellow tradesman and you should feel good about that. If you expect to receive pints for prizes then as Pete says, give further work to someone who will appreciate your efforts in a liquid form.

an alternative would be to get the wet-pants to price the job to you, the add a % on top and quote the customer accordingly.

Agree with Tel , If a customer asks me if I know anyone who can do x y or z then I simply say I can offer that service and then promptly contact the relevant person/ people and put the job through my company. I've had a couple of big jobs where I have had Plumbers, chippies, builders, tilers all on the same job under my Banner, It can take a lot of pressure off if you're controlling them and also it can appeal to the customer when they only have one person to deal with for all the work and one invoice. Obviously it goes without saying that you need a good crew that know their craft well and are trustworthy.

The trades that I work alongside recommend each other with no expectation of " a drink". All you have done is recommend a good tradesman to a customer, hopefully your customer is happy and that will reflect on you and if the plumber gets asked for an electrician then he will return the favour. If everyone starts adding their ?% then jobs get overpriced and someone else ends up with the work.

If you get some work chucked your way in the future then bonus. If not then you've helped out a customer and a fellow tradesman and you should feel good about that. If you expect to receive pints for prizes then as Pete says, give further work to someone who will appreciate your efforts in a liquid form.
I wasn't expecting a "liquid" reward as you put it. I just think that if I were gifted a job I would consider it a bit rude not to show my appreciation in some form, like Pete says, the world has changed.

Yes I think the world has changed for the worse, in your case I would drop a few hints to your Mate the Plumber, along the line "how much did you make on that job I lined up for you" if nothing is forthcoming then don't do him any more favours, a bit childish maybe, but you obviously feel strongly about the lack of a few quid coming your way, see how it goes.
I don't feel strongly Pete, I just think its a bit bloody rude that's all.

I wasn't expecting a "liquid" reward as you put it. I just think that if I were gifted a job I would consider it a bit rude not to show my appreciation in some form, like Pete says, the world has changed.

My opinion is that it would only seem rude to someone who was expecting something in return. I only mentioned a drink because you mentioned you were expecting a little drinky in return in your OP. I wasn't insinuating anything.

My opinion is that it would only seem rude to someone who was expecting something in return. I only mentioned a drink because you mentioned you were expecting a little drinky in return in your OP. I wasn't insinuating anything.
I find that rather strange Andy to be honest. Maybe it's my age of the way I was brought up, but to me it's just like thanking someone for letting you out of a junction or some other form of decent manners. It would seem that these days it's probably expecting too much, ah well.

I find that rather strange Andy to be honest. Maybe it's my age of the way I was brought up, but to me it's just like thanking someone for letting you out of a junction or some other form of decent manners. It would seem that these days it's probably expecting too much, ah well.

Not at all, a thank you is quite an appropriate response for a favour. That'll do me any day. I don't expect reward though but maybe that's just the way I was brought up.

Reply to Is it me??? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net