Discuss Is it ok to not run jobs and just be on the tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

John Matrix

just wanted some opinions on this because we were having a discussion about it the other day on site. If your on the books in my experience your looked down on if you don’t want to run a job. But is there anything wrong with it? Just wanting to be an Electrician and not a supervisor? Be good to see what people think.

From my own perspective I'm quite happy to do the job I'm paid to do (the best I can) and then go home and forget about it. If I want more money I just do overtime. I still get plenty of respect for the job that I do.

If I wanted the stress and aggro of running jobs and being in charge of people I'd be self employed.

From my own perspective I'm quite happy to do the job I'm paid to do (the best I can) and then go home and forget about it. If I want more money I just do overtime. I still get plenty of respect for the job that I do.

If I wanted the stress and aggro of running jobs and being in charge of people I'd be self employed.

Have you got a company van?

Do you get a company van?

I’ve done the supervisor thing, upper management were useless and just wound me up so I’m back in the tools.

But I might be going back to supervision again, deep joy... ?

All depends on what direction you want to take your career in, both sides have their pros and cons.

If your employer is asking you to be a supervisor then (if they are a good employer) they already respect you and are showing that by having the confidence that you can do the job well and instruct others to do so also. I've offered folks in the past supervisory level and they have turned them down for numerous reasons, I respected their decision either way and this had no adverse effect on my respect for them as people and the work they do.
Some people are just not cut out to supervise, some people maybe more than capable but don't want the extra responsibility, others are born to lead and excel in that position...But, beware, some people are useless at it but like the feeling of "power" the last thing anyone needs is a knob like that running the show!

Forcing someone to take a role they do not want to do, then making them feel guilty about not accepting is completely non productive. If you don't want to do it and you are doing the job on the tools well, your employer should respect that and find someone else to supervise.

If your employer is asking you to be a supervisor then (if they are a good employer) they already respect you and are showing that by having the confidence that you can do the job well and instruct others to do so also. I've offered folks in the past supervisory level and they have turned them down for numerous reasons, I respected their decision either way and this had no adverse effect on my respect for them as people and the work they do.
Some people are just not cut out to supervise, some people maybe more than capable but don't want the extra responsibility, others are born to lead and excel in that position...But, beware, some people are useless at it but like the feeling of "power" the last thing anyone needs is a knob like that running the show!

Forcing someone to take a role they do not want to do, then making them feel guilty about not accepting is completely non productive. If you don't want to do it and you are doing the job on the tools well, your employer should respect that and find someone else to supervise.

Where I work your just seen as a pair of hands if you don’t want to run jobs. I am very very good on the tools. I have a lot of experience and do the job to a very high standard. But I struggle to supervise, order materials, sort out the job and then do a full days work on top.
I can do it but I find it stressful. Whereas I love being on the tools. And do a brilliant job.

Where I work they Tend to promote the blokes who are useless on the Tools. So they put them elsewhere.
I’ve worked for good supervisors and then I’ve worked for useless ones. Ones that ask for your opinion or “How would you do that” then run to the manager with said information. Getting the credit for someone else’s idea.

Where I work they Tend to promote the blokes who are useless on the Tools. So they put them elsewhere.
I’ve worked for good supervisors and then I’ve worked for useless ones. Ones that ask for your opinion or “How would you do that” then run to the manager with said information. Getting the credit for someone else’s idea.
Nearly all firms I’ve worked at see you as Grade A if you run jobs and grade B if you don’t. This is how they explain it to me. I hate this. I just love having tools in my hands and cracking on. They need both I think. And an experienced man on the tools is surely worth having.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I don’t understand where that Sentiment comes from. I’ve worked with fantastic sparks who are not interested in being a Supervisor for personal reasons. Like other users have mentioned. Most blokes want to do there bit and clock off.

John you need to get a different employer. Nearly every thread you've started has shown you're unhappy where you are. There are unfortunately plenty of ---- employers about however there are still good ones about. Don't let your current one get you down. Bin them off and get another job else where.

Good luck
I do agree with you to be fair. I’m very good on the tools and I’m always made to feel like it isn’t enough to just be a decent spark.

Way of the world in most professions. Middle managers get stick from above and below. Seems to be a rare event these days that you find a senior manager that has actually served time at the coal face. The best managers are good at surrounding themselves with good practitioners and look after them.

Way of the world in most professions. Middle managers get stick from above and below. Seems to be a rare event these days that you find a senior manager that has actually served time at the coal face. The best managers are good at surrounding themselves with good practitioners and look after them.
Very true Mate I had many and only one was any good, the rest as much use as a hand break on a Canoe.

I've been at every level and its true middle management can be stressful, since you find yourself "piggy in the middle". Its a skill to manage people well, earn their respect and keep the exec's happy all at the same time.

Most people like to be part of a team, or at least feel that way. They tend to be most productive when they feel like they are contributing to that team's success. Any negativity reverberates through the team and before long you end up with a miserable bunch who lose interest.

I try to keep my team motivated and sincerely respect each member. I dish out the rollicking's when needed in a fair manner (not disrespectful or embarrassing for the receiver). I show my appreciation for work well done and spend time encouraging and listening to the folk that need support. I learnt this from the best manager I ever had when I was an apprentice myself.

John, as David mentioned you either need to speak to your employer and explain your feelings or look elsewhere. We spend most of our lives at work and we are a long time dead. Its not healthy for anyone or the company if people are fed up and miserable.

Reply to Is it ok to not run jobs and just be on the tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net