Discuss is it okay to extend shower cable or should i do new run. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

im installing a electric shower and at same time removing an immersion heater.

I was going to use the cable for the immersion heater as its big enough and on its on circuit.

Only thing is its about 2 meters short of were the shower is to be located. It would save an arful lot of messing if i could use this cable. so im asking is it okay to extend this cable (as per regs) with the likes on a junction box in the loft?

thanks

what's the shower rating, and what cable is on the immersion?

Strange question, is it alright to extend a cable? It can be, depends on how you extend it and what with. See above, shower rating?, existing cable size? etc etc.....

hope it's not 10.5kW shower going on 2.5mm. bonus of a heated towel drier.

2.5mm is the standard size cable for immersion heaters, ever since some numpty decided to do away with 7/029.

nope. bang in a 10.0mm.

but how anybody would even consider > 10.5kW is totally beyond comprehension.

My best mates 10.8kW shower ran off a 40Amcb in the airing cupboard, spurred off the immersion, spurred off a 16a radial socket circuit...for a bit. JB under landing went off like a grenade apparently

My best mates 10.8kW shower ran off a 40Amcb in the airing cupboard, spurred off the immersion, spurred off a 16a radial socket circuit...for a bit. JB under landing went off like a grenade apparently

Did he keep resetting the 16amp ?

it was probably welded closed. like a 63A i had to replace some time ago. was constantly running at 100+A.

Reply to is it okay to extend shower cable or should i do new run. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

At a bread and butter job, loose socket, socket not working, change two lights. Sticking out rather like a sore thumb was this (I removed the wire...
Replies
Views
Hi, I know it's best practice to run an immersion on a dedicated circuit but am I OK with the following A new heat pump is being fitted and it...
Replies
Views
Hi fellow sparks, I've just started out on my own so I'm spending a lot of my time trying to find out the correct way of doing things of...
Replies
Views
So far I have never had to deal with a new supply but a possible site we are looking at will need some major changes and so I wondered if folks...
Replies
Views
Hello All Strange question for you, I know you don’t have crystal balls :) but can anyone give me any clue on the following… I have mid eighties...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock