Discuss Is it possible to get continuous power from a switched line? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Spider

DIY
Reaction score
Rather than pull a new line from the panel by busting through walls, I am tapping an existing line in our bedroom to add an outlet and switched light in the neighboring enclosed mechanical room. The problem is that the existing line is on a switch 15 feet away that controls the bedroom ceiling and sconce lights. Is there any way to get a continuous hot line for the mechanical room that maintains the switched lights? Is my only other choice to put a new line into the wall from the panel? How is this done without destroying the wall? Thanks in advance for any advice.

use the switch line as a permanent feed to what you want, then fit a remote switch and receiver to activate the existing light. something like a Quinetic.

Rather than pull a new line from the panel by busting through walls, I am tapping an existing line in our bedroom to add an outlet and switched light in the neighboring enclosed mechanical room. The problem is that the existing line is on a switch 15 feet away that controls the bedroom ceiling and sconce lights. Is there any way to get a continuous hot line for the mechanical room that maintains the switched lights? Is my only other choice to put a new line into the wall from the panel? How is this done without destroying the wall? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Spider inside the light fixture you should have 1 cable that’s your live wire , neutral, and ground. Go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and buy a non contact voltage checker which might be about about $ 15.00 at the most. With this checker you should be able to find the cable which will be live.

Spider inside the light fixture you should have 1 cable that’s your live wire , neutral, and ground. Go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and buy a non contact voltage checker which might be about about $ 15.00 at the most. With this checker you should be able to find the cable which will be live.
think he wants to use the switched live (hot) as a supply for new equipment as he' can't easily get a permanent into the location.

think he wants to use the switched live (hot) as a supply for new equipment as he' can't easily get a permanent into the location.
@teletrix the OP stated that he needed a Constant live not a switched live. He can go in his attic and run a new cable from the light fixture to his mechanical room

Thanks for the advice. I was very proud of my work in the mechanical room until I discovered I had used a switch-controlled line from a light fixture. My plan is to get my new line down the wall to an existing outlet near the baseboard with as little wall damage as possible. The need to run the new line high up on the wall to the mechanical room is due to the foundation that is behind the lower two-thirds of the wall.

Thanks for the advice. I was very proud of my work in the mechanical room until I discovered I had used a switch-controlled line from a light fixture. My plan is to get my new line down the wall to an existing outlet near the baseboard with as little wall damage as possible. The need to run the new line high up on the wall to the mechanical room is due to the foundation that is behind the lower two-thirds of the wall.
Well good luck my friend and if you need anymore assistance let us know

Reply to Is it possible to get continuous power from a switched line? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net