Discuss Is it possible to : motorcycle EV conversion in the Hybrid Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Alexander

DIY
Reaction score
Is it possible, if and why not iff so,

To fit an EV motor and controller directly to the stator output of a 125cc motorcycle engine, (pre regulator)

Using a fixed throttle set up to increase revs to the required output and to bring it down to the engines normal idle revs for when stationary (traffic lights and such)

It seems to me that the required 96V is available from say a 125cc 3-coil stator (upgradable)

If the engine speed can be set to output the required stable power, volts and amps, WHY COULDN'T IT RUN AN ELCTRIC WHEEL MOTOR?

TIA ALEX

Screenshot_20200417_043908.jpgScreenshot_20200417_045000.jpg
[automerge]1587097617[/automerge]

[automerge]1587097873[/automerge]
What about a twin throttle, a that allows the bike to come down to idle as soon as the electric motor is throttled back?

Revving up as the electric motor speeds up

One rule I know from EV motors is that they potentially have all power instantly.

Would a lower voltage lower power output (I say yes)

But is all power really needed at take off?? Not every time,, looks to me a sort of eco mode could be set up that increases the revs of the engine to supply full power as the electric motor comes up to speed
[automerge]1587098459[/automerge]
This EV setup comes with a dashboard that shows battery capacity and voltage,

Seems to me this could be used to gauge the required revs to supply the voltage, as the bike stands still

Say I could get 30mph from the electric motor at 2000 revs... Add a few more say 3000 for X amount of voltage to achieve 60mph
If full power is required, set the engine to rev at the revs that supply the needed voltage

I'd it turns out the bike needs to run constantly at 5000+ revs all the time for the EV motor to work at all,, would petrol consumption become higher than normal

Would the acceleration advantage of the EV motor justify increase petrol and what is the ethical ecological footprint

Idelly the max revs to supply the max voltage would average out to consume less petrol than the engine being used at max speed.
[automerge]1587098662[/automerge]
I imagine a system that engine revs are sit into groups,

30mph target... Say max 40mph @ X revs

60mph target.. max 70mph @ X x 2 revs

Battery set ups do not have this problem because despite all power being available, the it isn't consuming power to provide the power as it is stored in the battery

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200417_043908.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi,i cannot believe nobody answered your question,and apologise for the bad manners :)

In answer to your question regarding reverse-powering a standard motorcycle alternator,it's a "no". A simple explanation,is that a generator whose output is possibly in tens of watts,cannot be reverse engineered,to provide a motor output,in the thousands of watts.

The control and management,of DC drive systems,especially on vehicles,and really especially on motorcycles,is made for an ECU.

If you google Guy Martin,on those electric yokes,in the Isle of Man TT,you can see the tech & back up,required.

Hi,i cannot believe nobody answered your question,and apologise for the bad manners :)

In answer to your question regarding reverse-powering a standard motorcycle alternator,it's a "no". A simple explanation,is that a generator whose output is possibly in tens of watts,cannot be reverse engineered,to provide a motor output,in the thousands of watts.

The control and management,of DC drive systems,especially on vehicles,and really especially on motorcycles,is made for an ECU.

If you google Guy Martin,on those electric yokes,in the Isle of Man TT,you can see the tech & back up,required.

I posted several replies pointing out the unsuitability of the stator output to feed a high power motor. Not sure if it was a duplicate thread by the OP, or if loads of replies have been deleted, but there was a lot more content somewhere on here.

I posted several replies pointing out the unsuitability of the stator output to feed a high power motor. Not sure if it was a duplicate thread by the OP, or if loads of replies have been deleted, but there was a lot more content somewhere on here.

....Yep,it did sound familiar...i hope he didn't just take two wheels off a milk-float,and go for it...:)

Reply to Is it possible to : motorcycle EV conversion in the Hybrid Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net