Discuss Is it worth changing Halogen MR16's to LED's? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

Limbo76

Good evening
I just want to garner experienced people's opinion on whether it's worth changing my Halogen kitchen downlighters to LED lamps? I currently have 20 MR16 50W Halogen downlighters in my kitchen, obviously consuming quite a bit of energy. As each lamp blows, I'm looking at replacing it with an LED equivalent. What I want to know is whether it's worth the expense of replacing the lamp and transformer (for an LED driver) or whether it would be a better option to change them all to GU10 (i.e. do away with the transformers and get new lampholders)? Are GU10's a better option due to there being more choice? If so, what type would be best suited to a kitchen (if any)?
Thanks in advance.

I have changed several MR16s to GU10 leds. The lamp holders are pennies and take no time to swap over. I like the GE energy smart leds. Nice colour to them, and get to feel smug at their low power consumption!

There is a few problems with the LED MR16, the power supply has a tendency to fail making not worth changing.

what we always do is either change the fitting to a GU10 version or a MR16 (230v) version.
these are more reliable due to their internal power supply.

this is easy to do by just removing the external power supply and connecting 230v directly to the Bulb connection.

I have all options available, just pop onto my site and give me a shout

with regards to is it worth changing to LED from Halogen then the easy answer is always yes!

as above. i have just replaced 13 MR16 LEDs in a jewelers shop for GU10. the MR16s had been fitted to the existing transformers. then started flickering.

agreed.

you'll be saving over 80% running cost on the 1kw at the mo and won't be buyng lamps for years. new fittings fire rated too. def go mains, we put 'inceptors' in

I have a low voltage first light Pro track in my kitchen ,actually its 2 tracks in place with 2 300va Toroidial Trannys
I wanted LEDs so have put in 12 9W MR16 lamps they have been in about 18 months now no problems , The thing is the trannys are still consuming the power so not getting the efficiency benefits as you would with GU10 I guess ,

no, but you're still saving a shed load over the halogens. the trannys won't use very much power themselves with the much reduced load.

If it was my place I would but to me it would be a case of safety, then reliability and then efficiency

I find MR16s produce way to much heat and have seen so many burnt cables, ceilings, joists, tiles etc I wouldn't want them anywhere near my installations

Reliability wise....well MR16s...the transformers....lamp holders......fail all the time, enough said

Energy savings already spoken for, I'd swap them asap

no, but you're still saving a shed load over the halogens. the trannys won't use very much power themselves with the much reduced load.

Also the track and fittings are white ,they have been in a few years and started to discolour with the old 50 watt lamps, so that should prolong the life of it

Thanks a lot for all your replies, they're very much appreciated. I think the best way to go is to change the lot to GU10's. LED Lighting, I'll check out your site this week (I like the fact you sell UK made lighting!).
Thanks again lads.

Reply to Is it worth changing Halogen MR16's to LED's? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock