Discuss is it worth signing up for C&G 2356 before it disappears? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LlandrilloSpark

Evening fellas

I've been musing about this whole 2356 NVQ thing

I have every other qual including 2391 but don't have the above, wasn't thinking of ever getting a Jib card & hopefully I will remain self employed until I hang up my boots, is it worth doing as a back up plan?

Well I've signed up for it for the same reason. It was £714 with Delta training but you get 3 years to complete it without having to pay for each year.
I reckon 3 years should be plenty of time without having to really go at it.

Did mine literally just to future proof myself as you never know if there going to change the goal posts, as in qualified supervisor or even scam member must have 2356.

I think there was talk of that anyway. I'm really just doing it because I don't like having 'trainee' emblazoned across the front of my jib card.

Evening fellas

I've been musing about this whole 2356 NVQ thing

I have every other qual including 2391 but don't have the above, wasn't thinking of ever getting a Jib card & hopefully I will remain self employed until I hang up my boots, is it worth doing as a back up plan?

if you're getting the work (including commercial or industrial) and there's someone to sign your work off, then i'd go for it. once it's gone, the only option available will be the 2357 (unless they decide to change things around again) and i'm sure you won't want to do the technical certificates again. it's never a bad thing to have qualifications and, even if you don't want a jib card, you can do it for a sense of personal achievement - if that's what floats your boat. besides, it's possible to complete it in just a few months. good luck, whatever you decide.

p.s. i'd go with a local college - they're usually a lot cheaper.

If you already have your 2330/2360 you can just do the work based assessments part of the 2357. To gain the full qual though you need to complete the renewables unit but that's about a weeks worth of classroom time and an assessment at the end of it.

p.s. i'd go with a local college - they're usually a lot cheaper.
Actually I found Delta to be cheaper for this one. There aren't any site visits so it should have less impact on my working day, and you don't have to pay for another year if you don't complete it in the first.
My local college actually said I couldn't do it because I was doing agency work at the time, even though looking at what you have to do I could have done most of it on one job which I did.

is it worth signing up for C&G 2356 before it disappears?

If you want to actually be an electrician then yes or you will only ever be an electricians mate. If your part p with niceic, napit etc then you might require this soon to become registered, best to plan for the future and help ditch the cowboys on our way forward

Actually I found Delta to be cheaper for this one. There aren't any site visits so it should have less impact on my working day, and you don't have to pay for another year if you don't complete it in the first.
My local college actually said I couldn't do it because I was doing agency work at the time, even though looking at what you have to do I could have done most of it on one job which I did.

yeah, i remember you mentioned that before - crazy. if you're paying for the course, the college shouldn't be worrying about your employment situation. as long as you're fulfilling the requirements that c and g demand for the portfolio, then that should be enough.

fair play though, if you found somewhere cheaper than a college.

not sure, are you on about nvq 3 on site thingy? my three years nearly up soon and cost me a bit as you can imagine but have had a three year battle with city and guilds over my 2360 qualifications so couldn't complete.so went for domestic electrician route at extra cost,but since i have been running 2 months i have had 4 jobs total profit

If you already have your 2330/2360 you can just do the work based assessments part of the 2357. To gain the full qual though you need to complete the renewables unit but that's about a weeks worth of classroom time and an assessment at the end of it.

i can't keep up with city and guilds. they change their minds more often than i change me kecks.

Yes, the qual is rushed and poorly designed. It is a good qual to have, but the powers that be made it too unneccesarily hard and convaluted. From what I have heard through the grapevine the 2365 will replace the 2330 and the 2357 is being reworked as we speak. It is possible it will keep it's identification but more likely it will change as almost the entire structure of the qual is being rewritten.

I've just signed up with XStraining, Its a bit of a personal achievement thing but also times are getting harder and work more scarce as more people get some form of electrical qualification, so thought nvq is a must to stay ahead

Reply to is it worth signing up for C&G 2356 before it disappears? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net