Discuss Is it worth trying to get agency work as a sparks mate while at college? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

OllieNotts

No real experience here and trying to get myself into the trade down the mate route as suggested by you lovely folk. Thing is I know there will probably be a lot of competition for these jobs(if they even exist going on the agency's I use for driving) but I dont have an ECS card either which seems to be required for most job advertised right now. Couldnt find one mates job online in Jan, but seen a few agency type roles and wondering if its worth trying to charm me way in to get some work even if its odd days thats all I am doing now driving :(
How do I get a CSCS or ECS card?

Are you studying anything at college at present

IPAF helped me a lot

If you havent any experience be prepared to get laid off a lot, dont take it personal, just learn what you didnt know,

Get a basic set of good quality hand tool, snips croppers level, haclsaw, files 6mm metal bits, 20 and 25 holesaw etc,
then a battery drill,

Put your pride under the stairs and prepare for the long haul...aim for JIB card, forget the 6k short courses,

Get an economical car and be prepared to travel.

IPAF helped me a lot

If you havent any experience be prepared to get laid off a lot, dont take it personal, just learn what you didnt know,

Get a basic set of good quality hand tool, snips croppers level, haclsaw, files 6mm metal bits, 20 and 25 holesaw etc,
then a battery drill,

Put your pride under the stairs and prepare for the long haul...aim for JIB card, forget the 6k short courses,

a refreshingly honest post there mate,its not quick quals self employed in weeks work coming out your ears and 50k a year..im surprised as it sounds so easy..:confused:

IPAF helped me a lot

then a battery drill,

Yes I am doing my level 2 2330 at the minute, and some of the lads on the course want to use a training provider to do the level 3 as one of the tutors runs one from his garage and they seem to think it will make them an electrician quicker and will be earning more then if they stay at college another year to do it properly? I have no intention of doing such a course but before I fork out for the next stage I would like to be at least labouring for a spark or on site so I have some direction. It may take another year but I can get or at least try to get a normal job on the lorry's while I wait for the economy to pick up.
Just wondered if there is any chance I would even get work on the agency's? Dont mind starting at the bottom I know its the only way to build my knowledge properly and was putting in 80 hour weeks last year to pay the bills and do college so I am not shy of work. Just looking to pro actively search some kind of path into the industry as I know it wont fall in to my lap.

Umm, yeah, sorry, should of said that it is a valid route first.

Theres one in Newark, mate required for portable accomadation.

Try registering with Trovit, jobisjob etc then look every evening.

Ill PM you a list of ME agencies later.

Umm, yeah, sorry, should of said that it is a valid route first.

Theres one in Newark, mate required for portable accomadation.

Try registering with Trovit, jobisjob etc then look every evening.

Ill PM you a list of ME agencies later.
Thanks, not heard of them sites before. Starting to get a bit desperate financially and running out of money fast :( Just want to get working whatever industry it is in but would be nice if I can get a foot in the door electrically now. If I am not too out of my depth that is.

Reply to Is it worth trying to get agency work as a sparks mate while at college? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock