Discuss Is loose trunking C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Car123

DIY
Reaction score
I had an EICR done in 2014. Some loose trunking on a wire to the showers self isolator based on the wall was graded C3. In an EICR done this week the same trunking in the same condition was graded C2. This seems a bit over the top please advise

What do you mean by loose trunking? Is it not secured to the wall? If not then can you just glue it?

I expect you can just glue it. I rent the house. But the electrician is quoting for work as a C2 and my question is whether it should be graded C2 or C3

Doesn't matter what code, just get it secured. Take less time than finding out what the code should be!
Well I don't argue with that. But nonetheless I would like some advice about this coding. The trunking is not hanging off its just not attached solidly to the wall. By grading it C2 the electrician does not pass the EICR and I have to pay him to come back. I am looking for guidelines on this grading

There was a change in the 18th edition, associated with premature collapse of wiring, under this all cables must be properly secured with fire resistant fittings (or other physical means), if this is not present, then it's a C2.

Just gluing it will not satisfy the regs.

Would that only apply to a new installation ?

Sounds like you need it fixed with something that is heat-proof like a metal clip / stainless cable tie, etc. Any photos possible so folk here can suggest solutions?

If you are quoted under £50 to fix it probably simpler and easier to just get it done, as often buying a box of 100 clips, etc, will be the best part of that anyway.

There was a change in the 18th edition, associated with premature collapse of wiring, under this all cables must be properly secured with fire resistant fittings (or other physical means), if this is not present, then it's a C2.

Just gluing it will not satisfy the regs.

True, but realistically it may just be a short length of cable above the bath in the corner of the bathroom. Never going to cause an issue with access.

I rent a house out and take good care of it. Not all landlords are bad.
Completely understand that mate, I’ve rented in the past just curious as to why so concerned....I’m with you for a decent landlord idve just stuck down and if I liked the client idve made good of whilst doing the EICR so it was never an issue ?

The BPG#4 has this under C3:

• Wiring systems not adequately supported to prevent premature collapse in the event of a fire. Note: In locations other than in individual dwellings, such as communal areas forming part of an escape route, this would warrant a code C2 classification to be recorded)
The clarification is a bit convoluted to me, as it sounds like C2 only non-domestic but I think they mean (or maybe they should mean) C2 for any escape route or likely fireman access route.

Reply to Is loose trunking C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net