Discuss Is my house wired wrongly? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Chippy_boy

Hello folks, I hope you don't mind but I've just joined up to ask this question.

I just took two adjacent mains sockets off the wall in my bedroom to do some wallpapering, and having switched off at the consumer unit, I also tested with a multimeter to make doubly sure they were off. One of them was off, but to my enormous surprise, the other was live. That seemed pretty odd since I cannot imagine why they would be on separate circuits. I have two mains circuit switches in the consumer unit, which I had assumed was one for upstairs and the other for downstairs, but clearly not.

That was the first surprise. The other more concerning surprise was that in the live socket, one side of the incoming ring main was live and the other red wire was not.

How can I have a ring main that is live on one side and not live on the other side? Does this indicate there's a break in the ring somewhere and is this a problem? Or am I simply misunderstanding how it works?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Of course that would explain it, but aren't all mains circuits in modern houses ring circuits?

(Thanks for the speedy reply by the way!)
No the sockets usually are wired as a ring final circuit, some as radials, lighting, cooker shower are radials, what size circuit breaker is protecting the sockets?

Of course that would explain it, but aren't all mains circuits in modern houses ring circuits?

(Thanks for the speedy reply by the way!)

Nope, there could be ring or radial circuits, or both. It's up to the person designing the installation to decide what's best.

As far as your situation goes a multimeter can give misleading readings, you may be measuring a phantom voltage. This is why most multimeters are not suitable for safe isolation and proving dead, you need to use a tester designed for this purpose.
But it may also be that you have a ring circuit with a fault in it or just a radial circuit.

There are certain tests to prove a RFC is actually a ring, you could do yourself a favour, (if you are that concerned) and hire an Electrician to carry out what is called an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) the cost obviously depends on the number of circuits, circa £250:00 just for the testing and paperwork. Where are you located by the way?

Thanks chaps - appreciate the advice. I guess I am not that concerned since there seems to be a pretty reasonable explanation. I had mistakenly thought it must be a ring with a broken leg, if you know what I mean. I hadn't considered there would be other wiring schemas that could explain what I experienced.

Thanks for your help today. FWIW I am in Bristol, btw.

Cheers again

I was born in Bath but now reside in Northampton, to far for a visit.

How old the property? Possibly 1 x socket was a storage heater circuit years ago and now converted to a socket, hence being a radial circuit. The other socket could well on a ring. If in doubt get an electrician in.

How old the property? Possibly 1 x socket was a storage heater circuit years ago and now converted to a socket, hence being a radial circuit. The other socket could well on a ring. If in doubt get an electrician in.

Built in 1998 (by Barratts). We still have the (working) storage heater on its own circuit.

How did you carry out the test and did you use a multi-meter or a no contact voltage tester (volt stick)?

Bog standard Fluke multimeter. Is that wrong?

a multimeter can be used to prove continuity and ( with care ) to measure voltage. they are limited though in what they can do and cheap meters have non-approved leads that may not be safe for voltages above 50V.

It sounds to me then that you have 2 different circuits in this room one of which is likely to be a radial but this can only be confirmed by proper testing.

How do you tell if a socket is on a ring with a broken leg, vs on a radial circuit? Neither of my two bedroom sockets can be a simple spur since I don't believe a spur off a spur is allowed (is it?) and both sockets have mains in and mains out.

There's just 2 x 32A mains circuit breakers in the consumer unit, both of which I had thought were ring mains.

I've encountered this in a property where I was changing a socket in the kitchen.

What had actually happened was at some point in the past, work had been carried out and the two legs of two rings had been interchanged so there was one leg from each RFC in each of the two MCBs that were supposed to be for upstairs and downstairs.

Nearly got a belt off it.

Circuits were unidentified in the CU, so systematically turned them off until I found the one which isolated the socket I was going to work on (left my socket tester in and listened for the beeps to stop), when it went off, unplugged it and turned all the others back on. Thankfully, I double checked with my AVI and was glad I did :)

How do you tell if a socket is on a ring with a broken leg, vs on a radial circuit? Neither of my two bedroom sockets can be a simple spur since I don't believe a spur off a spur is allowed (is it?) and both sockets have mains in and mains out.

It requires proper test equipment and an experienced spark.

I've encountered this in a property where I was changing a socket in the kitchen.

What had actually happened was at some point in the past, work had been carried out and the two legs of two rings had been interchanged so there was one leg from each RFC in each of the two MCBs that were supposed to be for upstairs and downstairs.

Nearly got a belt off it.

Circuits were unidentified in the CU, so systematically turned them off until I found the one which isolated the socket I was going to work on (left my socket tester in and listened for the beeps to stop), when it went off, unplugged it and turned all the others back on. Thankfully, I double checked with my AVI and was glad I did :)

That sounds extremely plausible... and a bit worrying, therefore.

Reply to Is my house wired wrongly? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock