Discuss Is my lamp safe - testing earthing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bee01

-
Reaction score
I have wired a lamp with a brass lamp holder and I don’t know how to test it with my multi meter that I bought. I want to test that it’s earthed and safe to use and also that it won’t blow my bulb.

Any help would be great !

Bee

you could check continuity from end of cable E to lamp casing. other than that, it's the bang test.

If the brass lamp holder has an earth terminal on its casing and you have connected the green/yellow wire to this and the earth terminal in the plug then yes it is earthed, assuming the socket you plug it from is also earthed.

The holder has a ceramic thing that had the wire connectors in with a metal piece coming from the Earth cable connector which would touch the metal casing and the plug is earthed I just wanted to test it before I plugged it in. If I can only get to the other side of the connectors and not the wires can I still test it ? I did a resistance test from outside of the casing to the Earth prong of the plug and it gave a reading of 0.3

@Bee01 it seems you have tested it already, so a bit confused when you say you don't know how to test it? In terms of is it safe there is no way of knowing as no one here has any idea of what system you are going to plug it in to. Could be you have a newly re-wired property or a property that was wired in 1954 with crumbling cable and no RCD. But on the face of it from what you say the light seems as if it is earthed anyway.

I'm such a concrete thinker ... apologies if you've already done this and extending from @telectrix post #9. Multimeter set to Resistance (Ohms). Connect meter leads together, check zero Ohms is indicated. Connect one lead to the earth plug, then other to the metal lamp base. Report reading, hopefully zero Ohms.

Everyone seems to concentrate on the earth. You've got 3 cores in there. Testing properly will ensure each conductor is intact end-to-end, also needs to test that there is no connection between one conductor and another.
Check the fuse size, cord grip etc at the plug end

PAT testers charge between £1.00-£2.00 per item depending on number of items. Normally charge a minimal call out fee.
Or you could purchase a PAT tester yourself the instructions are normally self explanatory. Cost of PAT tester £150-£400.
It's the only way you can be sure it's safe.

Reply to Is my lamp safe - testing earthing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net