Discuss Is my light switch wiring wrong? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Robb1e

-
Reaction score
Probably an easy answer but I need to clarify.
I have a 2 hand switch with 3 wires. All red wires, no neutral.
One will be the common which will go into L on the new switch and the other 2 will go into L1 and L3 (that's the only connections with terminals) .
Lights are not working so what could be the issue?
[automerge]1598953915[/automerge]
Sorry that should read 2 gang switch

your feed live goes into common or L1 in swich 1 and link to the corresponging common (or L1) on switch 2. then each switch wire goes into L1 (or L2) of each switch. all depends on how the switches are labelled. a pic. would help.

Original 1 gang switches which were back to back in wall:
20200901_111059.jpg

Back of new 2 gang switch:
20200901_111131.jpg

Hope this helps in some way ?
[automerge]1598955323[/automerge]
Hike in wall where switches were located
20200901_111108.jpg

If the lights aren't working then the most likely fault is the red wire in L is not the live.
As they were only 1 way switches before, the Live may not have been the one in the old Common terminal.
The Live would have been the one linking the 2 switches together.

Okay that makes sense so I found my multimeter and tested the 3 wires to earth. One was 0 volts, one was 247 volts and the other was 195 volts. Two lives?

Thanks Snowhead, that's exactly what was wrong. Bloody council must have had it back to front. Half arsed job at best.
i'd not trust the council to get them fixed on the wall, let alone connect them right.

Reply to Is my light switch wiring wrong? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net