Discuss Is NIC really the best to go for? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

TPES

I will be looking at joining a domestic installer scheme early next year.

I know theres a number of bodies to join and other contractors i speak to and some other sparks say NIC is what i should go for as alot of landlords and letting agents aswell as local councils will now only accept NIC certs.
Alot of maintenece firms will also now only accept NIC.

Also when you speak to laymen they have only ever heard of NIC.

So although the likes of NAPIT and ELECSA could offer you good value for money are they really worth joining?? if you will only get knocked back and loose jobs??

I used to be with nic then i moved to elecsa the best thing i ever done a far easier and friendlier sheme to be with. Elecsa have grown over the last year and are getting bigger and more popilar a lot of the councils around here have changed to elecsa as well as the likes of british gas it speaks for it self elecsa is definetly the way forward in my opinion and its now part of the eca you wont go wrong with them

I used to be with nic then i moved to elecsa the best thing i ever done a far easier and friendlier sheme to be with. Elecsa have grown over the last year and are getting bigger and more popilar a lot of the councils around here have changed to elecsa as well as the likes of british gas it speaks for it self elecsa is definetly the way forward in my opinion and its now part of the eca you wont go wrong with them

British Gas carry out much of the poorest work that I see on a day to day basis. The fact that they have gone the ELECSA route is totally meaningless with regard to standards and credibility.

just my opinion ive never seen british gas'es electrical work so i cant comment elecsa is in no way easy to join and comply with than any other sheme out there.

Just pay the ransom to the cheapest! I know loads of cowboys whom could not tell the difference between 2.5 or 6.0, but, hey they are part of the 'scheme'..and thus good and trusted sparks! Just pay the protection money to the cheapest.

I was a member of ELECSA when it first started, and to be honest it was a complete waste of time, and money.

Since then ELECSA has been bought by ECA - Eectrical Contractors Association, and from what I have heard the ECA is starting to improve the image.

Saying that I will be getting my Part P with NIC, they just seemed the most helpful when applying

I was a member of ELECSA when it first started, and to be honest it was a complete waste of time, and money.

Since then ELECSA has been bought by ECA - Eectrical Contractors Association, and from what I have heard the ECA is starting to improve the image.

Saying that I will be getting my Part P with NIC, they just seemed the most helpful when applying

That`s all the schemes care about - image, not substance.:mad:

Just take a moment to ask yourself what YOU are getting from joining one of these schemes......judging from a lot of posts on here, the benefits seem to be all one way.....I could be wrong, but how many of you chaps has got anything GOOD to say about any of them?

My own personal opinion is that they are expensive,restrictive, and once you've couged up your dosh; not as helpful as they perhaps could be....
Comments chaps?
randyrat

The problem is that Scheme operators are essentially "enforcers" for DC&LG - little (if any) thought has so far been given to the sparks! I get the distinct impression that the powers that be have a vested interest in sparks NOT having a "voice" within the industry. Until we do, we will continue to get s**t on by any tin-pot pen-pusher that feels they deserve an ego-boost.:mad:

I was with NIC in my first year, hard to get hold off when you need too.
Now with Elecsa, the assessment was harder than NIC one, they are very helpful and been very good so far, havn't lost any jobs because i am a member of them and not NIC.

im with elecsa and find them brilliant,they also told me its illegal for companies to specify who's certs they get, it breaches some competition law or somthing

im with elecsa and find them brilliant,they also told me its illegal for companies to specify who's certs they get, it breaches some competition law or somthing

Agreed all certificates should be accept from ALL schemes.

Agreed all certificates should be accept from ALL schemes.

I think companies are well within their rights to request a certain scheme however, if it wasnt requested then i think they have to accept which ever schemes certs you belong to.

Not 100% sure about that tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be looking at joining a domestic installer scheme early next year.

Also when you speak to laymen they have only ever heard of NIC.

So although the likes of NAPIT and ELECSA could offer you good value for money are they really worth joining?? if you will only get knocked back and loose jobs??

I joined NAPIT 2 years ago but am a bit disappointed by them. They made out they were going to shake up the electrical trade and look after the professional electrician. I haven't seen any of it.
The worst bit is, when asked if I'm NICEIC and I say 'No I'm with NAPIT', 99% of people and other sparks say 'Who??'

Reply to Is NIC really the best to go for? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock