Discuss Is Part Pee fit for purpose / who is policing this scam ??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
So mini rant coming up ...

While I am sure the wider majority of sparks follow the rules and certificate and notify their relevant work BUT in recent months I have been to numerous jobs where the customer has had significant wiring additions like new circuits in bathrooms , kitchens rewired and complete board swaps yet none of these jobs have any paperwork and non of them notified

Which is rather frustrating when I pay out significant fees to keep legit

The problem re notification is that Part P is a Building reg and the work covered is under the jurisdiction of the Local Authorities Builidng Control.
Unless they go door knocking and inspecting then there's no way of them finding unnotified work.

The same applies to all the other self cert Competent Person Schemes like Boilers, Windows, Cavity Insulation etc

So in effect you are relying 100% on the person carrying out the job to document the work and if they just don't bother then nobody really gives a rats

Sounds about right.
But it's the customer / property owner who is responsible for ensuring the notification is done.

There's another thread today started by a customer about no notification, B.C are aware and have said get someone else to sign it off by EIC presumably.
B.C could prosecute the contractor as above it's the customers responsibility.
If the contractor isn't a Scheme member, no Scheme can prosecute the contractor.
Scheme membership isn't complusory.

As discussed many times in the past it's a bucket full of holes in a bucket with holes in it.

Totaly one big cash cow, that us who do our best get penalised with anothe Barsteward tax in effect!
The worst of it is that it is down to the person ordering the work to make sure they use a part P registered electrician. But then no adverts or obvious literature to tell anyone that is the case.
So usually it's the home owner that will have the trouble not the unregistered electrician. An absolute mockery of a system!
It really really grinds my gears!!
Worse is if you come to a job that has been bodged by a unregistered or registered installer, no one has any interest in following it up or taking any action! The scams don't care the local authorities don't care and will just say get an EICR done!
No one seems to care! In fact why the fool do I jump through hoops all these years to be a approved installer?!

Rant over!
Sorry people!

They are @Dustydazzler less overheads as not cal cert or pay out to a scam for a start let alone all the other things they don't probably pay for!
We are the mugs but at least we can sleep sound knowing we have done what is required!

Yep its a complete balls up on the domestic sector, all about the money havening to give it all away to do a days work.

We've been saying all this carp for the best part of two decades.

In general, the customer/owner couldn't care a tinker's.....until it comes to selling their property or some other sort of pressure is exerted....and then come further problems with folk thinking they're getting fleeced by decent traders.
One big balls up.....right from the start.

There are many guys running under the radar that make great money with no paperwork. Some great , some crap.

The system is a joke in this country . I dont blame many for doing it .

I'm starting to feel as a vetted sparks that I am the mug and those under the radar are the real winners in this situation
Your a Mug, Like me - The whole system top to bottom is a Joke including NICEIC etc Heres a recent one, Over the summer holidays a NICEIC Registered Company - was PAT testing a large school i do work at. The dudes doing it were just labelling it all up, the tester they had was some ancient inadequate thing. They missed 1/2 the items, and missed things that should have failed. Yet because the NICEIC deals with the Duty Holder at the office, any old Muppets can be sent to site with Incorrect Labels and inappropriate test gear. As an individual you are vetted and assessed - as a company you can get away with blue Murder! I worked for a NICEIC company years ago, 1/2 the sparks were not even qualified! It makes a mockery of our skills.

Your a Mug, Like me - The whole system top to bottom is a Joke including NICEIC etc Heres a recent one, Over the summer holidays a NICEIC Registered Company - was PAT testing a large school i do work at. The dudes doing it were just labelling it all up, the tester they had was some ancient inadequate thing. They missed 1/2 the items, and missed things that should have failed. Yet because the NICEIC deals with the Duty Holder at the office, any old Muppets can be sent to site with Incorrect Labels and inappropriate test gear. As an individual you are vetted and assessed - as a company you can get away with blue Murder! I worked for a NICEIC company years ago, 1/2 the sparks were not even qualified! It makes a mockery of our skills.
Yep...And its time someone like the BBC did a major program about these schemes . "Gas safe" also !!

We are the mugs but at least we can sleep sound knowing we have done what is required!
Personally being part of some scam that has no bearing on the quality of my work wouldn't make me sleep easier. It's an absolute farce that time served, qualified men have to pay to be able to say whether or not work is ok. It's only this country this applies in too, like the other guy said, the system here is an absolute joke.

No regulation, no oversight, stupid rules, unclear routes into the industry. It should be heavily regulated to drive out the chancers with a clear route towards verified qualification status, which itself should come with the power to sign off work without having to pay extra money every year to do so.

Personally being part of some scam that has no bearing on the quality of my work wouldn't make me sleep easier. It's an absolute farce that time served, qualified men have to pay to be able to say whether or not work is ok. It's only this country this applies in too, like the other guy said, the system here is an absolute joke.

No regulation, no oversight, stupid rules, unclear routes into the industry. It should be heavily regulated to drive out the chancers with a clear route towards verified qualification status, which itself should come with the power to sign off work without having to pay extra money every year to do so.
IMO part pee has made it a lot worse, its all over the place a right balls up.

IMO part pee has made it a lot worse, its all over the place a right balls up.
Part P is a laughable joke, the rest of the world laughs at it when they hear about it.

Qualified men having to notify building control is a joke. If you're not trusted to be the expert what's the point in the training? It's a money making scam which is what this country is built on unfortunately.

'Part P will drive out the scammers!' Uh no. It will drive thousands of men to certified bodies with £600 in hand asking for a rubber stamp that their apprenticeship training has already given them at great cost, time and effort.

Part P is a laughable joke, the rest of the world laughs at it when they hear about it.

Qualified men having to notify building control is a joke. If you're not trusted to be the expert what's the point in the training? It's a money making scam which is what this country is built on unfortunately.
Its not just in this industry, I did have a HGV class1 revoked it a few years ago because of the PCP scam.

Absolutely, its the same old same old, the decent honest people get penalised and pay for the cowboys, work dodgers, tax dodgers...
In this day and age i'm not going to blame anyone for struggling to get ahead. Wages are stagnating, costs are rising, rents are ridiculous. Add the money on top to be registered with these scams and i'm surprised anyone bothers. If everyone told them where to go they'd have to stop them.

I don't blame the people telling them where to shove it.

In this day and age i'm not going to blame anyone for struggling to get ahead. Wages are stagnating, costs are rising, rents are ridiculous. Add the money on top to be registered with these scams and i'm surprised anyone bothers. If everyone told them where to go they'd have to stop them.

I don't blame the people telling them where to shove it.
I agree, the scams are a waste of money and time, unless they are policed properly and actually achieved what they were designed to do (assuming the main goal was safety over profit).

However, the conscientious folk out there who are genuinely trying to comply who are conscious of safety and the wellbeing of society end up the people paying the price.

I believe there is a distinct difference between people who are struggling and trying to get on and those that are just blatantly cheating the system at the cost of everyone else.

Reply to Is Part Pee fit for purpose / who is policing this scam ??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock