Discuss Is pvc pvc T&E soon to be written off ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Are we talking 80s here? I assumed white was the norm switched to at some time in the 70s, right up until the colour change. Had no idea it was a regional issue - but literally every house I see with 80s on wiring is in white here (Kent/London) (including my own) - and pretty sure it's not all LSF....

I've never seen PVC T&E in any colour other than grey.

On some older jobs I've been to the looped cables are in grey T&E and the switch drops in white T&E I assume this was to make the switch drops easily identifiable when rewiring

100% the old 'white t&e' was not LSOH. I've seen discussions elsewhere and noone seems to know why two variants were produced, but distribution does appear to be regional. Here in the Midlands you could get grey at one shop, walk into another and it was white.
The only trend I noticed was the white stuff seemed more prevalent in DIY type shops. I'mm looking at a length now - it's just normal supple PVC, but white. Then post 2004 it became LSOH.

On the contrary at our site, there's some grey "old colour" t&e marked as LSOH

I’m sure the b&q white was around the 90’s, when I was doing odd homers for family…

at work at that time we had pvc and lsoh/lsf both in grey. Slightly different shades, depended on manufacturer, so had to check the labels before booking it out to jobs. Huge price difference at that time.

I still can’t get my head round why the market for old colours is so red hot.

I recently saw an old drum of 1mm 3c (red yellow blue) sell for nearly 100 quid

are there a lot of of really sentimental sparks still out there installing old colours ?

There’s a farm near me got coils of old colour swa. It’ll get used.

although…. If the cores are identified with the new colours in the form of sleeving….. is it against regs to use it?

I still can’t get my head round why the market for old colours is so red hot.

I recently saw an old drum of 1mm 3c (red yellow blue) sell for nearly 100 quid

are there a lot of of really sentimental sparks still out there installing old colours ?

It's people wanting to do 'unofficial' jobs so they can make out it's been there for years.

It’s very rare I see grey sheathed metric t&e down here in Sussex. Although job I was on today did have it fitted.

Nearly everything from early 70’s to 2004ish is white sheathed.

I can remember when using the R/Y/B 3 core & cpc when using the blue core for taking a neutral to say a room stat, switch etc I'd mark it with a piece of black sleeving - I bet not many did that. ? Does anyone want to buy 99.3 metres of black sleeving ? ?

I always sleeved my blue , black if it was a N

still have a Hank of red and Hank of black

just waiting until we go back to old colours to start using it again

Reply to Is pvc pvc T&E soon to be written off ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net