Discuss Is recruiting new electricians a problem for companies? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mr Curnow

It's been 2 years since I completed my C&G 2330 Level 3, I've just completed a HNC this year but still struggle to find anything, ideally I want to get a degree in electrical engineering, carrying on until I get somewhere. At the moment I'm thinking about setting up a business in website design as a freelancer because "gaining experience" as an electrician is too hard, I've tried everything, it seems that every method you use to contact employers doesn't really work, there's always a flaw, I contact them directly, most don't reply, I contact them by email, most don't reply. And if they do reply they just can't take on anyone new. I do want to go into this industry, it's just that's it's next to impossible to get into.

I even thought about setting a board up at home then just practicing on that board just like I did at college, do it at home and learn it all, then maybe you have a chance in getting a job, you could say you were experienced, right? Not completely but you'd be quite sharp.

I'm going to carry on applying to companies while I'm learning website design, as soon as I get this business running I'm going to pack anything electrical in, It's great career, just too hard to get anywhere. The reality is that companies can't afford to employ new electricians, they want someone who has experience, it's just a huge catch 22 for people who want to get into this kind of thing, even the people at college didn't ever find jobs.

Recruiting unexperienced people is just costly for a company isn't it? I doubt it's going to happen...

When you contact said employers, whAtvis it you are asking for?

i just get this impression that you are saying look at me I've done a 2330 and a HNC and want to run your business...

The reality is, you have a couple of qualifications, ok they are recognised and acceptable but you have no "experience", quite possibly no test gear, and more than likely no idea about how anything works etc.

if you go to a company and say can I help you for free or a bit of cash on the side, then maybe people would reply.

I replied as a lad said he's starting the college course next week and he wants to learn, he's good and happy to be there for the money I can afford to pay.

Had you considered doing agency work? A lot of companies will only have a few sparks on the cards and will hire in extras via an agency for big jobs. The idea is you use that as an introduction, impress the boss and then ask them for a job instead of expecting them to take you on 'blind'.
In a worst case scenario it gives you experience in the industry.

When you contact said employers, whAtvis it you are asking for?

i just get this impression that you are saying look at me I've done a 2330 and a HNC and want to run your business...

The reality is, you have a couple of qualifications, ok they are recognised and acceptable but you have no "experience", quite possibly no test gear, and more than likely no idea about how anything works etc.

if you go to a company and say can I help you for free or a bit of cash on the side, then maybe people would reply.

I replied as a lad said he's starting the college course next week and he wants to learn, he's good and happy to be there for the money I can afford to pay.

Yep, I've tried that but still couldn't get anywhere from it...

Finding an apprenticeship is proving to be rather difficult for me ... I started looking around may this year and I've had 3 interviews(3rd one this morning) my 2nd interview was with Bradford council and they ended up not hiring an electrical apprentice. Start college Monday and still no place at a company... Yet(Fingers crossed about today's interview:grin:)

Reply to Is recruiting new electricians a problem for companies? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net