Discuss Is Romex allowed in an unfinished garage? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bartleyhs

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,
I had my garage rewired to add more outlets and lights. It was done with romex. At the time I was planning to finish (drywall) the walls and ceiling. Since then I have decided not to drywall the garage and will be selling the house. Someone told me it is against NEC to have romex in assessable areas as in an unfinished garage.
Is that correct?
BTW I live in Florida.

Thank you

Last edited:
NM cable is required to be protected from physical damage, around here anything below 8 feet has to be covered, but other areas can interpret things differently.

NM cable is required to be protected from physical damage, around here anything below 8 feet has to be covered, but other areas can interpret things differently.

So it looks like my only options are to drywall or have the romex replaced with conduit and THHN. I’ll have to weigh those out considering money and time.
Thanks for the reply.

Before tract homes around here got finished garages ( drywall, tape, texture, paint) most of the garages were open studs & any required or desired receptacles had the wiring dropped down into one stud bay then drywall was hung on that stud bay to cover/protect the wiring, it is cheap, cheezy and ugly but it worked, full tape & texture looks a lot better but when it is a cheaply built house you get what you get.

Before tract homes around here got finished garages ( drywall, tape, texture, paint) most of the garages were open studs & any required or desired receptacles had the wiring dropped down into one stud bay then drywall was hung on that stud bay to cover/protect the wiring, it is cheap, cheezy and ugly but it worked, full tape & texture looks a lot better but when it is a cheaply built house you get what you get.
That’s an interesting option. Thanks

Hello,
I had my garage rewired to add more outlets and lights. It was done with romex. At the time I was planning to finish (drywall) the walls and ceiling. Since then I have decided not to drywall the garage and will be selling the house. Someone told me it is against NEC to have romex in assessable areas as in an unfinished garage.
Is that correct?
BTW I live in Florida.

Thank you
If the garage is built with wood, it is not a violation of the NEC and I am a master electrician in Florida. You will be alright but if the wires are run through holes in the studs they have to have nail plates to prevent sheet rocks guys can’t drill into the wire. Good luck

Reply to Is Romex allowed in an unfinished garage? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net