Discuss Is STROMA now owned by NAPIT, and Certsure own ELECSA, NICEIC and... in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Supporter
Reaction score
Is STROMA now owned by Certsure along with NAPIT, NICEIC and ELECSA?

Edit: NAPIT took over Stroma. Certsure operate NICEIC, ELECSA and NICEIC Cerifications.

Somebody did correct me the other day when I got this wrong. But I can't remember whether I was wrong in saying Certsure do own them, or do NOT own them. (Edit: Do NOT own them).

Somebody clarify for me please?

A link to an article or something would help the thread too. I'm sorting out some certification scheme-related threads and this would be handy to have around. :)

THaaaaaannnkkssss.
[automerge]1568981544[/automerge]
I think I've found the thread, the answer is yes.

So CERTSURE now own four of the certification companies, ELECSA, STROMA, NAPIT, NICEIC.....?

Is that correct? (Edit: No)

Last edited:
Are NAPIT and Certsure totally independent then?

As one, at least in 2016 when they updated a new section on their website, states it's charity-led.

And I don't think that's the case surely.
[automerge]1568991371[/automerge]
Okay, perhaps just me getting confused here and if so, I'll correct my threads.

I can see on their website a sentence "This award was achieved in 2019 by Certsure LLP's three operating arms (NICEIC, ELECSA and NICEIC Certification)."

So Certsure, NICEIC, Elecsa (and NICEIC Certification, which seems to be it's own thing for some reason) are the same for sure.

Then NAPIT took over Stroma.

But Certsure and NAPIT are independent. Other than they work together:-

"
Certsure and NAPIT are once again working together on proposals to take the industry forward and improve standards within the electrical sector.

The two Competent Person Scheme (CPS) operators previously collaborated on Registered Competent Person Electrical (RCPE) - a single mark and register, which brought together more than 40,000 registered electrical contracting firms across England and Wales.

The driving forces behind RCPE now want to expand on that work and further strengthen the assessment process of both organisations.

Over the years, the strengths of the two organisations have been Certsure’s focus on the management and supervision of competence and NAPIT’s focus on individual competence."

Is STROMA now owned by NAPIT, and Certsure own ELECSA, NICEIC and... 1568991503644 - EletriciansForums.net

(Source: Moving Forward: Continous Improvement from Leading Cert - https://www.napit.org.uk/news/article/Continous-Improvement-from-Leading-Certification-Bodies.aspx)

“Certsure and NAPIT understand that we can only improve the safety of electrical installation work by working together in a coordinated approach.

“We can only do this by assessing the competence of organisations and individuals first hand; monitoring their abilities to ensure they are working to the latest standards and industry requirements.”

So they're independent but "work together" and not as competitors?

Last edited:
Its difficult to know who's in bed with who. As far as us foot soldiers know we were told that NAPIT had purchased the certification rights of STROMA and there was no mention that Certure and their merrymen had been purchased by NAPIT either....

They aren't competitors as they work together. Apparently.

Seems odd to me. As somebody who isn't part of the industry, looking in from the outside, this is really really weird. Domination of an industry by owning more than one brand and giving people 'options' is common in the car industry. But I didn't realise the UK Electrician 'market' is big enough to do it here lol

I'll have to dig around in their accounts and see who's paying who what. Assuming they're actually operated by charities, that shouldn't be too difficult, up to the point parts become privately owned. And investors end up off-shore. I guess.

(If anybody ever wants to contact me privately about any of this, email me: [email protected])

This is termed “competition” :)
To compete is the opposite lol

Runners compete, they don't 'work together' on winning a race.

Hmmmm. Not sure that's a helpful response to be honest.

Let's not give examples where conspiracy theorists hang around. Else we just attract them to the thread. And this is an important genuine question (and confusing point for me) and shouldn't be thrown off-topic with war-related comments.

How is a parliamentary select committee competing with Certsure, a business?

(That was rhetorical - back on-topic please)

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum having just done 2392, Part P, 18th Edition and BPEC solarPV at TS4U and the topic is pertinent to my position. I wasn't aware these organisations are classed as charities for a start. If the information I read on here is correct im asking myself dies monopolies commission rules cover charities. If not, all if these associated "charities" can charge membership fees of whatever they want.
I'm now in a position to becoming a member but can't decide which one, or know the best way to do it with the route I took to get qualified. Any observations from thre floor would be welcomed.

Wouldn't you (i.e. Electricians and the Electrical Installation Industry) in general prefer a "ElecSafe" or "SparkSafe" body that ALL electricians capable of signing off work have to be registered and assessed by?

Gas engineers used to have to be "Corgi" registered, nowadays they have to be "GasSafe" registered.

Customers know Gas engineers have to be "GasSafe" but the same can't really be said for customers in regards to electricians, many think their builder can do it, or their chippie can run some cables for them, etc. with the plethora of Part P schemes; ELECSA, NAPIT, NICEIC, STROMA at least, and with the Electrical Safety Register not really having the same presence as GasSafe, it's no wonder domestic customers get confused and or don't really know who can/can't do electrical work for them.

ECA don't technically operate a Part P scheme, although I stand to be corrected, instead they work with Certsure, i.e. ELECSA (which used to be "Part of the ECA Group" but isn't anymore the ELECSA logo changed two or three years ago) and the NICEIC to promote electrical safety standards in both the home and the wider electrical industry.

Corgi had such a bad name. Plumbers report that it was the reason it had to be changed.

Though now it appears that whoever 'won the bid' for it got cocky and didn't win it again at renewal. They kept he licensing of the name out of spite, it has been said.

Then the name came up for grabs, and a guy who sells plumbing bits owns it.

Now plumbase license it or something. Not sure what's going on there.

It's all too confusing for me, who isn't a sparky. And seeing the logo on a white van with nothing else on it doesn't help any brand. Not sure why those are still being posted out. Online marketing is needed.

Why aren't any of these logos on RateABuilder websites? Informing the 'homeowner' what it means.... I ask myself every time I see a white van with one on.

GSR don't even have numbers on their logos on vans. That's becoming just as unreputable as the old Corgi register was becoming. IMO.

The other problem you have is that NICEIC with their electrical safety Standards marketing strategy done a sterling job of being the number 1 name everyone remembers. The amount of builders, homeowners and letting agents I have had to educate over the years. You don’t have to be NICEIC to be part p competent you can be Stroma or NAPIT too, both were equally as good in fact I would say my 1st Stroma assessment was far harder more in-depth that any of the numerous NICEIC assessments I had.

Reply to Is STROMA now owned by NAPIT, and Certsure own ELECSA, NICEIC and... in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock