Discuss is suplementary bonding notifiable to labc ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

paulwalldall

as the header says. applying supplementary bonding to concealed pipes in nieces bathroom as it got a '2' in an eicr. although im c&g qualified (not a Electrical Trainee) im not registered at nic etc or with local council. as im putting cable in a special area, eg a bathroom, is it notifiable as it is not going to be part of an energised circuit or should it be inspected by their bod. will be upgrading main earth and services bonding later which ill have to notify.
just wondering.

scenario could be for instance, tho not for this case. builder comes in to replace sink. replaces pipes to sink. can builder legitimately reconnect bonding or must he call a sparky do it.

thanks for that. house has no rcd at the moment so earthing required and needs improving as not bonded to either gas or water. its been in place quite a few years. looks well done and not been hacked about anywhere. got to fix extractor point in kitchen and more sockets in utility room as well as upgrade earth work so will notify for those jobs. seems that your link suggests i can notify when only doing main activity as upgrade earth will be covered in that.

just wondering if electrical wiring thats not energised counted as electrical or not. seems it does. makes sense i suppose.

interesting that telectrix. as bonding is above floor level but concealed by bath its still in a zone. good to see that registered sparkys can (soon ) now sign off previously notifiable work which would hopefully be a bit cheaper and encourage more people to have it checked and raise standards a bit.
regards new sockets needing an rcd. can get away with an fcu for kitchen extractor and also for the boiler. But will be hoping to use an rcbo for ring main as its the best solution.
Boiler installed this year and wired thus. boiler on far wall of utility room beyond kitchen. boiler lead tacked along skirting board towards kitchen. plug chopped off, wire poked through hole in wall into kitchen, plug reattached and plugged into kitchen socket. not impressed and surely not what youd expect.

noticed link below though:-

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...29906-upgrading-earth-bonding-notifiable.html

suggests that 're-earthing' (do you like that?) isnt notifiable. :stooge_curly:

interesting that telectrix. as bonding is above floor level but concealed by bath its still in a zone. good to see that registered sparkys can (soon ) now sign off previously notifiable work which would hopefully be a bit cheaper and encourage more people to have it checked and raise standards a bit.
regards new sockets needing an rcd. can get away with an fcu for kitchen extractor and also for the boiler. But will be hoping to use an rcbo for ring main as its the best solution.
Boiler installed this year and wired thus. boiler on far wall of utility room beyond kitchen. boiler lead tacked along skirting board towards kitchen. plug chopped off, wire poked through hole in wall into kitchen, plug reattached and plugged into kitchen socket. not impressed and surely not what youd expect.

noticed link below though:-

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...29906-upgrading-earth-bonding-notifiable.html

suggests that 're-earthing' (do you like that?) isnt notifiable. :stooge_curly:

I doubt that will ever happen, the 3rd party system, or homeowners rushing to pay more to get work checked out.

The previous version of the approved document (still valid in Wales) for part P specifically excluded upgrades and installation of main bonding and supplementary bonding from the requirement to notify building control, whatever the location.
The current 2013 version of the Part P approved document (For England) specifies replacement, repairs and maintenance as being specifically excluded, but no longer mentions bonding.
(Being a bit pedantic the notifiable work is for circuits and bonding is not a circuit at the time of installation, but would be in a fault situation)

decided i wont notify labc as could have been replacing bonding misplaced when bath was repkaced. good how lots of replies mention documents and ammendments more current than my guide (red cover) im assuming you subscribe to something which keeps you updated. just maing you all aware. im qualified after 3 yrs college but have had very little practise but want to do the jobs properly and safely. thanks for all the replies. lot of effort gone into them.

DON'T buy the Green covered regs book now.
Wait until January when the new Yellow one comes out (Amendment 3).
Mentioned this to my son,using the term "yellow version",and he suggested it must be a similar scam to the football club kit change merchandising scam...sharp,him,for a 12 year old :willy_nilly:

FYI, under the bath is outside zones if access is only possible by means of a tool or a key.

ok ok. chill. yes i have bonded it already. it is only accessable by removing bath panel and bath taps connected by plastic which is why i questioned the request on the eicr. (it got a 2 ).
nice to hear about the accessable by tool or key, tho obvious really or thered be bonding for pipes all over the place. cheers everyone.

Reply to is suplementary bonding notifiable to labc ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net