Discuss Is the chapter Classical Mechanics used by electricians? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sonny

-
Reaction score
I learned in my school these lessons about velocity,speed,acceleration,forces,friction forces,mechanical works,power and I was wondering if you ever use these in your daily life.Do you use them in electromagnetism?I only learned about them but I don't know if you practice these lessons everyday or never. I guess that kinetic energy may be used in electromagnetism but I'm not 100% sure of that.
I hope your comments could enlighten me from my confusion.

You are receiving an education which covers all sorts of topics to develop your mind and its ability to learn new things. Whether you need a particular thing in the future - is unanswerable. But you and your brain will be a better person for knowing more rather than less - if only to comprehend the world in which you live.

Stick at it. It might open up opportunities for higher education and technically demanding employment.

Most manufactured goods are an amalgam of more than one engineering discipline. I have a degree in engineering for example because my employer recognised I needed to know mechanical, electrical/electronic, control, computer and aerospace engineering.

Interestingly, I remember reading that electrician pre-dates electrical engineer. But that does not answer your question. Other EF folk can.

The disciplines you describe are all physical effects that will have limited application in comparison to the electromagnetic effects that are considered as an electrician.
If you are designing an electrically powered machine to perform a physical task then these issues could well be critical to the machine operation but would only apply to the electrical side of things where it would be needed to calculate the electrical power that would be needed to provide the mechanical power to overcome friction and provide the appropriate acceleration up to the acceptable speed or velocity.

Such disciplines are also used extensively but not normally formally in daily life.
How much force do I need to apply to overcome the friction resistance of the closed water tap and how low a speed is required to avoid spraying myself with water, for example.

Not really used by electrical installers at any point.
The application of classical mechanics to electrical is only
via the physical effects produced by electricity such as motors and electromagnets.

I learned in my school these lessons about velocity,speed,acceleration,forces,friction forces,mechanical works,power and I was wondering if you ever use these in your daily life.

I think we all use the above in our daily lives, regardless of profession.. :)

Why are you trying to seek a connection between these things and the working life of an electrician though? To be honest a good industrial fluid or pool engineer would be far more relevant to the forces you have listed.

I think that on an (admirable) quest for knowledge, the first lesson that should be learned, and that schools should teach, is how to form a question so that your audience understands what you're banging on about ;)

My friend designed and builds the control panels for the machine below

As you can see, you need to be aware of things other than just electrics

Nice video....shame some poor engineer now has to replace that coupling which was bouncing off the tarmac...;)

Nice video....shame some poor engineer now has to replace that coupling which was bouncing off the tarmac...;)
It'll be the man who was demonstrating the shotcrete who would have replaced the coupling.

My friend constantly has to do calculations on velocity , he does a lot of work in quarries that make bitumen, it gets pumped around the place.

I learned in my school these lessons about velocity,speed,acceleration,forces,friction forces,mechanical works,power and I was wondering if you ever use these in your daily life.Do you use them in electromagnetism?I only learned about them but I don't know if you practice these lessons everyday or never. I guess that kinetic energy may be used in electromagnetism but I'm not 100% sure of that.
I hope your comments could enlighten me from my confusion.
When I did my bookbinding apprenticeship we did A level physics and chemistry at college, we all thought this pointless at the time, but as technology evolved it became apparent how useful this knowledge was.

Reply to Is the chapter Classical Mechanics used by electricians? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net