Discuss Is the Earth Bond High Current Test Obsolete? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Misty1

Does the increasing numbers of battery powered pat testers, which profess to perform all the tests required by the IEE Code of Practice, but do not carry out the earth bond high currant testing at 20A mean that this test is now obsolete? Or is there still a requirement to perform this test?

I don't see how there's any comparison between a test at 200mA and a test at 26A. Where appropriate the standard earth bond test should be conducted - a poor cpc may melt under this test current but certainly won't at 200mA.

I hate the current fetish for battery powered PAT testers with a passion as they often lack features I consider essential:
1) The "Hard" Earth Bond Test is still part of the IET COP for Class 1 appliances.
2) Run testing is being specified more and more often by commercial and industrial clients (e.g. NHS, MOD, DWP, BT, LEA, Schools, Housing Authorities and Local Government).

Good discussion , i like doing the 25a tests on iec leads etc with the seaward europa but the battery primetest 300 is an excellent for tool going round rooms testing It equipment where the appliances under test are being done at 100 ma .

Different tools for different jobs

I recently renewed a .75 flex to a fixed appliance (so why it’s being PAT tested I don’t know)

Other than the fixed installation, all elec equipment whether permanently connected or connected by a plug and socket outlet should be inspected and tested in accordance with the IEE CoP.

When you say the PAT tester failed the lead, do you mean the inspector or the instrument?

Why is the H&S chap conducting in-service inspection and testing?

Last edited:
he probably sat the PAT exam, its only a 1 day course, he said the instrument failed the lead, but like I say, he has form for getting things wrong and blindly following the machine. he is not an electrician. I would just love to know the correct answer to go back to him with

Testing at high current is not recommended since there is potential to damage equipment, if the probe contacts an inappropriate point, and the high current can temperarly fix broken CPC by fusing the wire and then create a brittle joint.

All medical electrical equipment is tested to BS EN 62353 which recommends 200mA and will be amended soon to limit the test current to no more than 1A.

Obviously when using a low test current the effects of oxidised plugs and sockets (IEC leads in particular) can create a failure to someone who is inexperienced. I doubt a one day course really prepares someone for the real world!

Reply to Is the Earth Bond High Current Test Obsolete? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net