Discuss is there a minimum number of sockets on a radial in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Fault finding today,
no continuity on a FRC turns out to be 1 complete leg of the ring is simply not there. cant run new cable in due to decor/tiled floor
I was going to split the remaining sockets into 2 radials which would mean 1 radial with 3 sockets and 1 radial with only 1 socket
this sound ok ? going to use 16a mcb for each and put some form of note next to CU

i would normally put 20A breakers on a radial with anything more than a single socket attached.

p.s. it is perfectly acceptable to wire a whole house or office block without a single ring final circuit.
note is not required, it is not an unusual circuit arrangement.

i would normally put 20A breakers on a radial with anything more than a single socket attached.

p.s. it is perfectly acceptable to wire a whole house or office block without a single ring final circuit.
note is not required, it is not an unusual circuit arrangement.
how about the single socket ? 16a ok

breaker is there to protect the cable, so if it were a twin socket i would use 20A if it was a single i may put 16A but probably still go for 20A just in case someone plugs an air conditioner or similar into it.

Radial circuits are standard so no need to put note on, only 4 sockets on the original RFC that is a smallest I've come across. (if read your post right)

Radial circuits are standard so no need to put note on, only 4 sockets on the original RFC that is a smallest I've come across. (if read your post right)
4 sockets 2 bedrooms min number sockets required, the note was to let any one know that 2 sockets in the same room are on different radials

Its still one circuit but 2 branch
this is true, however i have never been a fan of it as it can lead to confusion later when people assume it is a ring.
If it is not a problem for space in DB, for the sake of £6 breaker, i would put it on 2 separate circuits.

but either method would be compliant, just my personal preference.

this is true, however i have never been a fan of it as it can lead to confusion later when people assume it is a ring.
If it is not a problem for space in DB, for the sake of £6 breaker, i would put it on 2 separate circuits.

but either method would be compliant, just my personal preference.
I get that, however ring continuity should never be assumed until r1 r2 rn is confirmed

If you saw two cables into a B20 or B16 MCB, you wouldn't assume it was a ring just because there are two cables, because if you are the assuming type, you'd expect it to be on a B32 MCB. Though of course it could be ring with a lower MCB value e.g. due to cable derating.

Depending on installation method and availability of breaker, you could probably use a 25A breaker.

Reply to is there a minimum number of sockets on a radial in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock