Discuss Is there a way to move around a drilled hole in ceiling without drilling another one in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

LED is just another step in the lighting story.
Something else will be along in the future to replace it.

Don't ask me what as I dont' know, but I wouldn't be suprised if it's already under development.
It is in development

The Russians are redeveloping halogen technology to be more efficient than LEDs

Reactions: DPG
Sorry for the confusion! That light bulb and the fitting is a temporary one. This is what the back of the light I want to put looks like:
Is there a way to move around a drilled hole in ceiling without drilling another one IMG_3097 - EletriciansForums.net

So effectively I need 2 suspended screws that distance apart. I am going to get rid of the existing fitting and bulb.

As suggested by the other members, I might eventually end up drilling a hole if nothing works out, but I want to avoid it if I can - mostly because my previous (first) attempt at drilling concrete was disaster.

Thank you everyone for the pointers! :)

Sorry for the confusion! That light bulb and the fitting is a temporary one. This is what the back of the light I want to put looks like:
View attachment 51245

So effectively I need 2 suspended screws that distance apart. I am going to get rid of the existing fitting and bulb.

As suggested by the other members, I might eventually end up drilling a hole if nothing works out, but I want to avoid it if I can - mostly because my previous (first) attempt at drilling concrete was disaster.

Thank you everyone for the pointers! :)
Are you saying that your ceiling is concrete?

I did some more looking around and this is close to what I imagined:
aliexpress.com/item/32683522633.html

But I need a flat version of this, and something which I can easily order within EU (preferably buy quickly from a store in Sweden), but looks like there isn't something obvious/standard available.

@Megawatt yes it feels like concrete or some hard building material. I cannot say for sure, but it's not wooden and hard to drill (at least with my multipurpose drill).

@Spoon sorry about not being clear earlier but that's how most of the buildings in the 2 countries I have lived are. Neither am I a professional (in fact a noob!) and am doing this just for our house. What are ceilings in UK mostly made of? Curious!

Also I thought the initial figure I created specified the requirements clearly and not sure if the material of the ceiling really matters for the solution I am looking for?

Most ceilings in UK houses are plasterboard. Typically fixed to timber joists, but sometimes to metal framing instead.

Which is why we struggled to understand why you did not just drill another hole!

Concrete is occasionally used, more typically for blocks of flats.

Hello everyone!

Is there a way to move a drilled hole in ceiling slightly to the right without drilling another hole. I need to suspend a light ceiling lamp and want to avoid drilling another hole if possible. I am imagining something like this:
View attachment 51230

So effectively I am looking for a flat horizontal strip which has support to put in screws anywhere. Is there something like that which already exists? If yes can you please share a link/name? I tried looking but was unable to find anything. The lamp is very light and there won't be any stability issues.

Thanks a lot!
Cut a strip of the ceiling off the width of the distance you want to move the hole. Then slide the whole ceiling across. Job done ;)

@Spoon sorry about not being clear earlier but that's how most of the buildings in the 2 countries I have lived are. Neither am I a professional (in fact a noob!) and am doing this just for our house. What are ceilings in UK mostly made of? Curious!

Also I thought the initial figure I created specified the requirements clearly and not sure if the material of the ceiling really matters for the solution I am looking for?

No problems mate. See @SJD post above for how the majority if ceiling are built in the UK.
I thought what you were after was going above the ceiling, in the void.

I might eventually end up drilling a hole if nothing works out, but I want to avoid it if I can - mostly because my previous (first) attempt at drilling concrete was disaster.

What problem did you have with your first attempt?

Cut a strip of the ceiling off the width of the distance you want to move the hole. Then slide the whole ceiling across. Job done ;)
Forgot to add that the advantage of this method is that the strip you cut off will match the gap at the opposite side which is left after you’ve moved the ceiling over.:cool:

Forgot to add that the advantage of this method is that the strip you cut off will match the gap at the opposite side which is left after you’ve moved the ceiling over.:cool:

I think your status should be upgraded from trainee to genius.

If it were me I would drill 2 new 4.5mm holes @ 50mm centres & a 20mm hole in the middle of them for the cable on the light fitting. Then fix using the existing ceiling holes.

Well with your hole in the ceiling solution the sky's the limit. ;)
Wouldn’t that require a bigger hole plus one in the roof directly above? :rolleyes:

Thanks @SJD!

@Stubob interesting approach. Though the LEDs are stuck to the upper surface, but I can try to explore if there is space for 2 new holes on the light itself.

@FatAlan haha! Your genius approach might not work for me given that you are assuming that the ceiling is composed of 2 surfaces. For me it's just one concrete layer. I cut a strip and move ceiling, everything stays as is, and just move sideways :p
You probably need to come up with another genius solution ;)

Reply to Is there a way to move around a drilled hole in ceiling without drilling another one in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock