Discuss Is there any asbestos in meter boxes? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was contemplating cutting a hole in the bottom of a meter box and I decided to have a quick check on line. I have now used an existing hole albeit a harder route. How common are meter boxes with asbestos in them? Is there any way of knowing if it contains white asbestos?

I was contemplating cutting a hole in the bottom of a meter box and I decided to have a quick check on line. I have now used an existing hole albeit a harder route. How common are meter boxes with asbestos in them? Is there any way of knowing if it contains white asbestos?
Drilled far to many to worry about it HHD

This was one of the online sites that caught my eye
But.... looks like that's an Australian address so we're all safe here!:)

without seeing the box's we cannot say for sure,
but YES ! many of the older box's had asbestos in them.
It's usually safe to work on them, but if your drilling holes ?
then use a vacuum to suck up the dust.
Whilst it just requires a little comon sense
your not gunna fall down dead at the first touch of asbestos.

Attachments

• Is there any asbestos in meter boxes? panic - EletriciansForums.net
    panic.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 4
use a vacuum to suck up the dust.

No! Never use a normal vacuum cleaner to suck up dust that might contain ACMs! It will not filter all of it out of the airstream so will spread it around the room, and may continue to do even after you've changed the bag and moved on to another job. Work wet, damp the dust, contain it at source etc.

DMX is also in Aus. Do we have a verdict about UK meter boxes? In the UK we didn't really have meter boxes until after the asbestos era. As above. the traditional white ones have always been GRP.

HHD did you have a pic of the suspect box or one like it?

As far as I know outside meter boxes in the UK have always been made of a GRP material with a chipboard meter board.
Mantel boxes were always metal with a chipboard meter board.
Some blocks of flats, council estates etc have a meter cupboard lined with asbestos board which obviously needs a careful approach.

your not gunna fall down dead at the first touch of asbestos.
It would need to be an H Type vac and you would need to be trained to level/Cat B working with asbestos.
Is there any asbestos in meter boxes? 44B344E1-1410-4E7C-B341-E04BB5DA47CE - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
your not gunna fall down dead at the first touch of asbestos

No it can take up to 50 years, but it will kill you eventually.

QUOTE - No it [ can ] take up to 50 years, but it will kill you eventually

can being the operitive word !

Some old boards did have asbestose in them,
if you have to work on one,
then using common sense precautions is usually sufficent.
such as a dust mask and a vacuum cleaner.

The chances of coming across an asbestos board is low,
They were only used 50+ years ago,
So not many electricians see them,
Yes I am in Australia,
and have seen and worked on many boards of advanced years
perhaps that is why I have seen them
when many haven't.

Attachments

• Is there any asbestos in meter boxes? old switch board - EletriciansForums.net
    old switch board.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 8
No! Never use a normal vacuum cleaner to suck up dust that might contain ACMs! It will not filter all of it out of the airstream so will spread it around the room, and may continue to do even after you've changed the bag and moved on to another job. Work wet, damp the dust, contain it at source etc.

DMX is also in Aus. Do we have a verdict about UK meter boxes? In the UK we didn't really have meter boxes until after the asbestos era. As above. the traditional white ones have always been GRP.

HHD did you have a pic of the suspect box or one like it?
Just checked my photos Lucien, no pictures I'm afraid. It's just a standard 'looking' meter box from memory. I think it was the general look of the texture of the box that got me thinking, however I feel 90% confident from internet research that UK meter boxes will not contain asbestos.

As for the 50 year thing, it can take less or more. I don't intend to take any unnecessary risks having seen the ugliness of mesothelioma and asbestosis up close.

QUOTE - No it [ can ] take up to 50 years, but it will kill you eventually

can being the operitive word !

Some old boards did have asbestose in them,
if you have to work on one,
then using common sense precautions is usually sufficent.
such as a dust mask and a vacuum cleaner.

Using the correct dust mask and the correct vacuum yes, they need to have the correct level of filtration otherwise the asbestos dust will go straight through the filter.

Reply to Is there any asbestos in meter boxes? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock