Discuss Is there any point in starting the 2330 level 2 in sept? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

OllieNotts

I'm enrolling with college on Tuesday but now have concerns about if it is gonna be worth it with the new 2357 coming in?
Will I be able to do level 2 and 3? And what happens next? I assume to start the 2357 you have to be working in the field to do the nvq so will I end up with a useless qualification m, unemployable and also unable to continue with the qualification? My long term aim was an nvq as I would like JIB status to work in either com or ind but I'm concerned it may be a chicken and egg situation regarding finishing my training.
Help? Please :)

are you working in the field? if not then yeah i think you should still do the L2 2330 this year, then when you do start working in the field you will be able to use the L2 cert to skip through the first year of the 2357.
but if you are working in the field the just go for the 2357 now.

nothing much is changing, the 2357 is still essentially the same course content as before (2330 L2 & L3 and NVQ L3 and an extra module about renewable energies) except it's being delivered in a different way. and the reason they are doing this is so there isn't loads of kids getting government funding doing technical certificates at college with no forward career path as it's basically a waste of money. going by the last 5 years statistally in colleges in the UK 70% of students not working in their necessary industries are not learning enough and failing, which costs more in the end.

C&G are not accepting any NEW enrolments on 2330 it is being replaced by 2357. When you get to college to enrol ask the staff for advice. To become a qualified electrician the new system is as follows
You need 2 things a Technical certificate = 2357 Diploma in electrotechnical technology and an NVQ level 3
Tech Cert is college based
NVQ is work based so to do an NVQ you must have a job in the electrical industry.

Right, so if and when I've passed level three do they just merge with the 2357? I've read I'll have to do the 2356 and am2 to get JIB status but the it just feels I'll never actually get it done due to the fact I'm unlikely to get a job that will enable me to do what is necessary. Trying to stat positive but the closer it gets the less likely it feels like I'm doing something positive.

C&G are not accepting any NEW enrolments on 2330 it is being replaced by 2357. When you get to college to enrol ask the staff for advice. To become a qualified electrician the new system is as follows
You need 2 things a Technical certificate = 2357 Diploma in electrotechnical technology and an NVQ level 3
Tech Cert is college based
NVQ is work based so to do an NVQ you must have a job in the electrical industry.
Yeah I knew I'd need work to get the nvq but I don't understand how my quails will match up?
Think I'm getting nervous cause I'm dreading it all going wrong

Well I've enrolled today anyway, I guess we'll see what happens when I've done level 3 and what doors open(if any).
I'm contemplating going into domestic work now and learning the trade before going to Ibiza to get away from this hell hole we call the UK.
Guess there's a good chance I'll never get JIB status but hey ho....

C&g level 2 full time for two days a week mom and tue and as long as I pass they're gonna do level 3 next year part time. If I can get through those I'll need to attempt getting work and possibly try for my nvq down the line.
I'm just praying that there's no exams not June as I've booked for 10 days in Ibiza already :D

Ollie don't wait until you have the C&G quals before looking for a job in the industry. They should both go together.

The college course is the theory C&G 2357. Exams are often in June check with college
The NVQ C&G 2356 is the onsite practical month by month in which you build up a logbook or portfolio of all the jobs you have been involved with. Write ups drawings photos etc to cover all aspects of installation work in the NVQ
To do this you need an apprenticeship/trainee electrician job. An independent assessor will visit you approx every 3 months to check on your progress but it is your responsibility to put the file together.
Once you have 2357 and 2356 The AM2 is a final practical assessment like a driving test for your electrical skills. With all 3 you should be able to apply to JIB

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the info, got 5 mouths to feed here though and right now I need to pay bills! I was hoping to start looking for work when I can afford a drop in wages as I'm working nights to fit this all in and be able to afford to live. I'm 28 so not likely to get any kind of trainee role at this stage :( should of done this years ago when I wanted to.

I must admit all these courses are confusing :)
I have been hassling my local college about the 2330 for the last 12 months and until just recently they had no news, but I have just had word from them that they are taking in a final batch of 2330 1st years as C&G havent got the replacement sorted out fully yet and they obviously want to get paying people on a course this term.
I think that it is worth it for me as I am not currently in the game as such but the area I look after IT wise merges over a bit with the electrical side (maglocks,relays,PSU's) etc.
I think that the course in general will be useful as an overall intro into electrics and how to do things properly and I think it will give me some more knowledge at work when it comes to how my computer controlled gizmos interface with the electrical side of things.
It may eventually mean that when one of my PSU's blow I can replace it myself rather than logging a job and waiting for a spark to come out. - well maybe :)
plus I may have an idea of how to get electric out to my brick shed ;)

Im looking forward to it and who knows where I will go after I have done this one :)

Ollie don't wait until you have the C&G quals before looking for a job in the industry. They should both go together.

The college course is the theory C&G 2357. Exams are often in June check with college
The NVQ C&G 2356 is the onsite practical month by month in which you build up a logbook or portfolio of all the jobs you have been involved with. Write ups drawings photos etc to cover all aspects of installation work in the NVQ
To do this you need an apprenticeship/trainee electrician job. An independent assessor will visit you approx every 3 months to check on your progress but it is your responsibility to put the file together.
Once you have 2357 and 2356 The AM2 is a final practical assessment like a driving test for your electrical skills. With all 3 you should be able to apply to JIB

The 2357 merges the 2330 and the 2356. When the 2330 goes, so will the 2356. Once gaining the C&G 2357 level 2 you can choose to complete the NVQ side of the 2357. This can be done along side the 2357 level 3 cert or afterwards, however you can only complete the NVQ when you are on site. Once you have both, you then have an advanced diploma in electrotechnical technology. without the NVQ, you only have a level 3 certificate, just like the 2330 without the 2356.

So I can do my first year as it is and then try to get work for the level 3 which the nvq would be done at the same time? Hmm, still can't see who is gonna give me any work :D would it be possible to be an electricians mate with a level 2 or is that still trying to punch aboves ones weight? God knows how those muppets that pay thousands with no experience get on!

You could be a labourer or apprentice (JIB grade), or a domestic sparks mate with just your level 2 cert. To be a mate (JIB wise) you'd need some proof of practical experience or your level 3 cert. If you don't find work by the time you're on to your level 3, it's no biggie, you'd just have to complete the NVQ side of things whenever you get the work.

Thanks a lot for your advice, you make it sound so simple! I may be in a financial position at the end of level 2 to take the drop in wages I'll no doubt get with a job as a mate, however I'm not changing careers to make more money I want a better quality of life and a trade that allows me to ---- off from this country.
Do you know how much it will cost to do the nvq along side my level 3?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Is there any point in starting the 2330 level 2 in sept? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net