Discuss Is there any way of getting around being registered to sign off work? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've bought all the power and hand tools, and am planning to start up on my own doing small electrical jobs for people as a sole trader with small steps, the problem I think i'm going to have is being able to sign off the work when i've done it, my friend at college is working for someone so could help, but i've heard you have to be registered to sign off the work, which I can't get, i've done the level 3 C&G years ago. If i'm doing jobs for someone would they pay building control or the council to sign it off? Is there any way I could get the work signed off, or would the smaller jobs that don't need to be notified be enough? I just think there's not going to be loads of small jobs - so not much money. I take it the gov invested the money in the needed courses to actually do the job. My mum had someone do work on her house, he never got it signed off, i'm guessing there's an option of just not signing off the work. I'm in the poole area.

Last edited:
If you're going to start doing electrical work for paying customers then you're going to have to swallow some of the overheads involved. A MFT is a must to be able to test and provide certificates for the work you've done. The correct insurance for the work you're doing is also a must.

Notification is different and separate to certification and the easiest way is to be with a scheme. You could contact your local BC office and ask what their system and charges are for non registered workers wanting to notify work. If you are not going to do much notifiable work it may not be worth the scheme membership fees and you could just avoid doing notifiable work ?

If you're going to start doing electrical work for paying customers then you're going to have to swallow some of the overheads involved. A MFT is a must to be able to test and provide certificates for the work you've done. The correct insurance for the work you're doing is also a must.

Notification is different and separate to certification and the easiest way is to be with a scheme. You could contact your local BC office and ask what their system and charges are for non registered workers wanting to notify work. If you are not going to do much notifiable work it may not be worth the scheme membership fees and you could just avoid doing notifiable work ?

Yh I've looked at quotes for public liability insurance and it's like £100 which is fine but I want to earn money before paying out.

Would there be much non notifiable work? I'm thinking I won't really get much work if I do that. My plan is to go there check what needs to be done then just ask online if I would need to notify it and plan doing it.

I don't have the 2391 by the way. And stroma requires 2 years of experience, could probably bs that.

What worries me most is messing it up and being liable - I did put an ad on gumtree and had some guy call me saying I could do work on his house for free, but i'd still be liable wouldn't I? I'm just thinking if I could get my friend or someone from his company to check it over before it's switched on i'd be fine. Have heard of people getting someone to check their work is fine, then sign it off themselves. Would give me confidence I'm not going to be sued.

Last edited:
Yes if it you mess up you would be liable. If you are advertising as competent to do the work you should be. If you are competent you shouldn't need anyone to check over your work. Experience is the key to competence and, by the sounds of it, more experience is what you need before starting out on this venture.

No idea if there would be much notifiable work or not, how would you be advertising yourself ? Make yourself familiar with the scope of part P notifiable work would be the first step.

Yes if it you mess up you would be liable. If you are advertising as competent to do the work you should be. If you are competent you shouldn't need anyone to check over your work. Experience is the key to competence and, by the sounds of it, more experience is what you need before starting out on this venture.

No idea if there would be much notifiable work or not, how would you be advertising yourself ? Make yourself familiar with the scope of part P notifiable work would be the first step.

Well I did put an ad up on gumtree in poole looking to work as a mate, I had someone call me saying could I work on his house for free and I was going to meet today but he never replied strangely, probably because he felt there was risk. I'm not saying I'm competent, I just thought if he asked me it would be at his own risk - and mine. It all depends if they want to sue you if you mess it, if it was something small i'd probably be fine. Only knows my name is steve, my mum had a guy work on her house, never signed it off and was fine, also think someone messed up something and she didn't do anything - wouldn't do a job on a nice expensive home.

Last edited:
When you say if things get messed up, have you considered what that might be?

It might be your installation doesn’t work, but it could cause a fire or injury someone. If you are serious about working as an electrician, you should get some more training and or work for someone or a company, where you might get both.

Can’t really see you doing much without any test kit and experience of using it. I’m currently doing minor domestic work but would say that 80% requires a cert of some sort. Even replacing say like for like a quick Zs check is pretty handy to confirm earthing.

Not doing work on expensive houses in case you mess things up does not sound like a good business model.

You really need to get the insurance in place as well. If you cant afford the £100 up front then you aren't in a good place to start a business.

Are you competent in testing your work and filling in the certificates? As above this is probably needed even if the job is not notifiable.

I know this sounds negative, but these things need considering before you start.

Not doing work on expensive houses in case you mess things up does not sound like a good business model.

You really need to get the insurance in place as well. If you cant afford the £100 up front then you aren't in a good place to start a business.

Are you competent in testing your work and filling in the certificates? As above this is probably needed even if the job is not notifiable.

I know this sounds negative, but these things need considering before you start.

The first £1000 you earn doesn't have to be declared, by the time i've earnt this from smaller jobs I can step up a bit and take on the harder stuff. If u have liability insurance then really your covered. It's just if I keep claiming on the liability insurance my quotes are bound to skyrocket.
[automerge]1582549073[/automerge]
Isn't being self employed different to running a business as you wouldn't have to pay employees? The only expenses really are insurance, tools, registering with a scheme, materials. Ideally I would like to work as a mate, but it all depends if I can get that - nobody has replied to my gumtree ad.

Last edited:
The first £1000 you earn doesn't have to be declared, by the time i've earnt this from smaller jobs I can step up a bit and take on the harder stuff. If u have liability insurance then really your covered. It's just if I keep claiming on the liability insurance my quotes are bound to skyrocket.
[automerge]1582549073[/automerge]
Isn't being self employed different to running a business as you wouldn't have to pay employees? The only expenses really are insurance, tools, registering with a scheme, materials. Ideally I would like to work as a mate, but it all depends if I can get that - nobody has replied to my gumtree ad.
I'm confused by your statement (my bold) why would you keep claiming from your liability insurance??

Also, being self-employed is not all fine and rosy, its hard work and it takes a while to build up a good reputation and client base.

My opinion (based on what you have posted), you are not ready to go self employed alone as an electrician.
My advice, try and get some more experience for a year or two, then re-evaluate then to see if self employed is the right thing for you.

I'm confused by your statement (my bold) why would you keep claiming from your liability insurance??

Also, being self-employed is not all fine and rosy, its hard work and it takes a while to build up a good reputation and client base.

My opinion (based on what you have posted), you are not ready to go self employed alone as an electrician.
My advice, try and get some more experience for a year or two, then re-evaluate then to see if self employed is the right thing for you.

The funny thing is you find yourself a lot more capable when you say you can, it's just a trait of a loser to say "I can't", more like "I'll just tell myself I can't, because actually I can't be bothered, so i'll continue being a loser". You always hear oh you can't do this, you can't do that, well the thing is 99% of the losers out there are gonna say that. I'm looking at people in b&q look at a £30 multi tool blade and laugh because their suckers. They would always say this kind of stuff at college, best thing I EVER did was stopped listening to them.

Last edited:
What about the testing and the filling in of test certificates? Are you ok doing this side of things?
[automerge]1582559817[/automerge]
The funny thing is you find yourself a lot more capable when you say you can, it's just a trait of a loser to say "I can't", more like "I'll just tell myself I can't, because actually I can't be bothered, so i'll continue being a loser". You always hear oh you can't do this, you can't do that, well the thing is 99% of the losers out there are gonna say that. I'm looking at people in b&q look at a £30 multi tool blade and laugh because their suckers. They would always say this kind of stuff at college, best thing I EVER did was stopped listening to them.

Also important to know your limits though. Not just you but everyone has limits of knowledge and experience.

Last edited:
What about the testing and the filling in of test certificates? Are you ok doing this side of things?
[automerge]1582559817[/automerge]

Also important to know your limits though. Not just you but everyone has limits of knowledge and experience.
Yh I know, i'm just saying it's best to tell yourself you can not assume you can't, and pretty much do everything possible. I thought oh no I can't do that, but if you work at it long enough you find a solution eventually. Every time you do that your balls get bigger. I don't mean to be a dick, but if you just let people say whatever they want and treat you however they want, they'll put you right in the gutter.

Last edited:
As you may know CPS schemes exist to do the exact opposite of what your are enquiring about. If you have the level 3 2330 you should qualify for a scheme. All you need is some work to be assessed on. As to asking members here how to circumnavigate existing legal and regulatory requirements, I can only assume you are playing devils advocate or being wilfully obtuse. Personally if I know a way "around" studying to level 3 and being part of a CPS scheme and buying the necessary insurance and acting in the way a proper bona fide tradesman should, I would not tell you. I have heard of arrangements being made with building control where they will accept your qualifications without a CPS scheme being involved. Also can I recommend you advertising in electrical wholesalers for work? Do the honourable thing and do it the proper way and get rid of the idea of getting around the status quo. I understand a positive attitude can change things that seem impossible but that is usually in the direction of something poor or bad to something better. Your plans seem to be going the opposite way from something good to something dire. I am all for a positive outlook but generally with a view to improve matters not make them worse.

Yh I know, i'm just saying it's best to tell yourself you can not assume you can't, and pretty much do everything possible. I thought oh no I can't do that, but if you work at it long enough you find a solution eventually. Every time you do that your balls get bigger. I don't mean to be a dick, but if you just let people say whatever they want and treat you however they want, they'll put you right in the gutter.

Nobody is putting you in the gutter. When you ask a question on a forum you can't just expect to get positive replies only. If you don't want to hear anything negative then dont ask people's opinions.

You need to be confident that you can do the work, including testing and certifying.

Nobody is putting you in the gutter. When you ask a question on a forum you can't just expect to get positive replies only. If you don't want to hear anything negative then dont ask people's opinions.

You need to be confident that you can do the work, including testing and certifying.

I was thinking maybe you could look at what needs to be done, go away, look on youtube, then plan doing it. In practice it might not work because there's so many situations, but your in a much better position to do it when you have the confidence ;). Would prefer having a mate to work with but I doubt anyone would reply to my ad, I don't think I have an option. Back in 2010-2012 I sent out like 400 cv's to local companies, never worked, I finished college then pursued electrical engineering degree, my last year is coming up, can't even find a job in that cos all the other applicants have degrees and some have experience also.

Last edited:
I was thinking maybe you could look at what needs to be done, go away, look on youtube, then plan doing it. In practice it might not work, but your in a much better position to do it when you have the confidence ;)

Not clear on what you mean here. Do you mean looking on youtube for how to test and certify?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is there any way of getting around being registered to sign off work? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net