Discuss Is there anything I can do to get my sockets working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
To Qualified Electricians:

I have this iron with a torn wire that I fixed by twisting the wires together. This solution worked for weeks until today I accidentally allowed the two separated wires in the cord electrical plug to come into contact. This formed a spark in the cable and now all of the outlets upstairs in my house are not working even though the bulb in my room upstairs is working. Is there anything I can do without professional help.

Check the fuse or circuit breaker that supplies the circuit. And don't twist wires together, that causes fires and people can get electrocuted.

If you have neighbours in similar buildings , ask them where their fuse box is , you need to find yours !
(you may get suggestions for more local help as well !)

To Qualified Electricians:

I have this iron with a torn wire that I fixed by twisting the wires together. This solution worked for weeks until today I accidentally allowed the two separated wires in the cord electrical plug to come into contact. This formed a spark in the cable and now all of the outlets upstairs in my house are not working even though the bulb in my room upstairs is working. Is there anything I can do without professional help.
Unplug all you appliance especially the Iron, go to your CU (fuseboard) and see what has tripped and reset it if it's a fuse that has blown, you will need to replace it. you may need an Electrician to assist you.

Last edited:
Can you post a picture of the fuse box?
I will charge my phone up to 15% andd then take a picture but the room is very dark so I don't know how well it will come out
[automerge]1572111276[/automerge]
Unplug all you appliance especially the Iron, go to your CU (fuseboard) and see what has tripped and reset it if it's a fuse yhat has blown, you will need to replace it. you may need an Electrician to assist you.
Is there a certain switch that I can flip?
[automerge]1572111671[/automerge]
Can you show a picture of the fuse board.
Is there a specific switch I can flip?

Last edited:
I will charge my phone up to 15% andd then take a picture but the room is very dark so I don't know how well it will come out

Is there a certain switch that I can flip?
[automerge]1572111671[/automerge]

Is there a specific switch I can flip?
If there is one that is OFF it will be that one BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE UNPLUUGED ALL YOUR APPLIANCES FIRST

I just flipped the one that wasn't flipped but the sockets still aren't working

Hi mate. If all your breakers are now on and just the upstairs sockets are not working and everything else is, then it look like it's time to get someone in to look into what has gone wrong.

I just flipped the one that wasn't flipped but the sockets still aren't working
It may say "ON " try it again it may be a faulty CB, Iis there an RCD on the CU my be that tripped as well, is anything else not working?

How, if you've no sockets working?
You need to get some help in, I feel. You've been using a damaged appliance, already. Be careful, whatever you do.

Well, I suppose he'll have to go charging downstairs, then...….just be careful of falling, in the dark:(

Well, I suppose he'll have to go charging downstairs, then...….just be careful of falling, in the dark:(

It's just the upstairs sockets that are not working. Everything else is up and running.

Reply to Is there anything I can do to get my sockets working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net